Mother charged with assisting rape, murder of child BALTIMORE CITY

February 03, 1993|By Roger Twigg | Roger Twigg,Staff Writer

A 24-year-old woman was charged Monday with first-degree murder for allegedly helping a yet unidentified man rape, sodomize and kill her 7-year-old daughter, according to court records.

The victim, Tanisha Hope Allen, was found dead just after 8 a.m. Dec. 18 in her family's 14th-floor apartment in a high-rise building in the 200 block of N. Fremont Ave. in the Lexington Terrace public housing complex.

Two assistant state medical examiners who performed an autopsy on Tanisha determined that she had been raped, sodomized and suffocated, police said.

Homicide Detective Berry P. Grant said in charging documents that "both doctors stated that due to the amount of trauma, the victim had to attempt to scream and that she suffered a great amount of pain until she died."

The girl's mother, Peggy Cecelia Allen, had told police that someone had removed a pane of glass from the kitchen window, entered the apartment and assaulted Tanisha.

But Ms. Allen was charged Monday with first-degree murder after homicide detectives determined that there was "no rational explanation for the fabrication of the burglary nor her ignorance as to the identity of the male suspect," according to charging documents.

She appeared before a Central District Court commissioner yesterday and was ordered held without bail at the Women's Detention Center at the city jail pending a bail review hearing today in District Court, police said.

Ms. Allen, who also has twin 2-year-old daughters who are now in the custody of the Baltimore Department of Social Services, told investigators that she had put the children to bed about 10 p.m. the night before and had slept only 10 feet from the victim.

"She denied having anyone else in her apartment nor any knowledge as to the identification of the man who assaulted her daughter," Detective Grant said in the charging document.

"She alleges that the suspect broke into her apartment by removing a kitchen window pane. The suspect entered the apartment through the kitchen window, raped and murdered her daughter and then left without awakening her."

"All of the evidence indicates rationally that Peggy Allen was aware of the incident while it was happening and in fact participated," Detective Grant said in the charging document.

"The . . . facts show that Peggy Allen was involved and assisted in the murder of her daughter."

Ms. Allen told police she only became aware of her daughter's death about 8 a.m. when a neighbor stopped by to pick up Tanisha to go to school with the neighbor's son.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.