Third suspect is charged in killing of Carroll man

February 01, 1993|By Anne Haddad | Anne Haddad,Staff Writer

A third man sought in what police said was a drug-related killing of a Westminster man surrendered to Baltimore County police Saturday night.

The suspect, Timothy Cumberland, 23, of Bentley Park Lane in Reisterstown, was charged with first- and second-degree murder, manslaughter, reckless endangerment, battery and five counts of conspiracy.

Westminster police said they plan no other arrests in the killing Thursday night of Gregory Lamont Howard, but the investigation is continuing. Police said earlier that they were seeking a woman who was in the car with Mr. Cumberland and the two other suspects, who were arrested early Friday.

Westminster police said Mr. Cumberland surrendered to police at the Garrison station in Baltimore County about 7 p.m. Saturday. About an hour later, Westminster officers brought him to their station for questioning.

Mr. Howard, 22, was Carroll County's first homicide victim of 1993. The victim, who lived in the 1600 block of Old Manchester Road (Route 27), was shot in the chest at 11:24 p.m. Thursday as he stood in the 100 block of S. Center St. He was pronounced dead at Carroll County General Hospital.

About three hours later, Baltimore County police arrested Samuel Allen Miller, 22, of the 300 block of Stonecastle Ave., and Daniel Justin Leonard, 23, of the 600 block of Hammershire Road, in a parked car near Mr. Leonard's home off Reisterstown Road.

All three suspects are being held without bail in the Carroll County Detention Center. Mr. Cumberland is due to appear at a bail hearing today.

Westminster police investigators worked 30 hours straight after the killing and asked police in other jurisdictions to help them find the suspects, said police Lt. Randy Barnes.

They charged Mr. Miller with first- and second-degree murder, manslaughter, reckless endangerment by discharging a shotgun, and assault and battery.

Mr. Leonard was charged with felony murder by being an accessory before and after the fact, and with assault and battery.

Police said the suspects had gone to the 100 block of S. Center St. to buy cocaine and bought what they thought was cocaine for $40. But after driving away, they apparently thought they had been sold "fake crack" -- soap -- and returned to the scene.

Police said that after the men got back to Center Street, Mr. Cumberland, carrying the shotgun, got out of the car and demanded to see the person who he said had cheated him.

Mr. Howard was shot when he walked up to the car window as the shotgun was being thrown back into the car, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.