Passer-by spots fire


major damage avoidedA chimney fire...

January 31, 1993

Passer-by spots fire; major damage avoided

A chimney fire spread to leaves in the gutter of a home in the 4500 block of York Road No. 1 yesterday afternoon, but a passer-by spotted the blaze before it could do major damage, said Chief John Krebs of the Lineboro fire company.

Chief Krebs said that a wood stove had started the chimney fire and a spark landed among leaves in the gutter.

About 20 firefighters from Lineboro, Manchester, Pleasant Hill, Pa., and Hampstead took about an hour to mop up the chimney fire after the resident doused the gutter blaze with a garden hose.

Chief Krebs said there was only "very minor damage," and no dollar loss.

"It could have been a very serious thing if it would have happened and nobody went by," he said.

Hampstead man injured in crash

A one-vehicle accident in Millers at 2 a.m. Friday sent a Hampstead man to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

John Robert Sheets, 30, was treated and discharged from the center later the same day, a hospital official said Friday evening. He was a passenger in a pickup truck driven by David Lee Simpson, 25, of Manchester.

Mr. Simpson was driving west on Millers Station Road, when he lost control and struck an embankment, police said.

The vehicle went up the embankment and rolled over before coming to rest on its left side.

Republicans celebrate with Lincoln dinner

The Carroll County Republican Club will have its eighth annual Lincoln Day Dinner Feb. 13 at the Westminster VFW Post 467 hall, 517 Poole Road.

The evening will start with a cash bar at 6 p.m. and dinner at p.m., followed by the program.

The guest speaker will be Del. Ellen Sauerbrey, minority leader othe Maryland House of delegates.

Tickets are $17 per person.

;/ For information, call 374-5438 or 848-8088.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.