Man slain, raising city's 1993 homicide toll to 22 In addition, 2 teen-agers charged in West Baltimore double murder

January 27, 1993|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

A man became Baltimore's 22nd murder victim of 1993 last night when he was shot and killed on an East Baltimore street by an unidentified gunman, police said.

Police also report that another man was shot in the head yesterday afternoon in West Baltimore and remained in critical condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

At this time last year, 27 murders had been reported in the city.

The victim in the East Baltimore shooting was found lying face-down in the 1100 block of Forest St. shortly before 8:40 p.m.

He was pronounced dead at the scene of a bullet wound to the chest, police said.

His identity was being withheld pending notification of relatives.

No arrests had been made as of last night and the motive for the shooting isn't known, homicide detectives said.

Detectives combed through the neighborhood, off the 400 block of E. Biddle St., looking for shell casings believed to have come from some type of semiautomatic weapon.

The victim's body lay covered on the ground next to a car, a baseball cap lying a few inches from an out stretched hand.

A woman who stood on the steps of a nearby rowhouse with members of her family said she heard gunshots and looked out her third-floor window to see the man lying in the street.

"There are a lot of shootings here," said the woman, who said she was afraid to give her name.

"The other night, a guy was standing right across the street, shooting off an Uzi. I'm afraid for my kids."

As investigators looked for clues and waited for crime lab technicians to arrive, a police officer walked up and down the street asking residents if they had seen anything, but received little information.

"I'd want someone to come forward if he was in my family," the officer said.

The West Baltimore shooting occurred in the 500 block of Baker St.

An unidentified man was found lying in the street about 2:35 p.m. after officers went to the area for a report of gunshots, police said.

The victim had been shot once, possibly twice, in the head, and was critically injured, police said.

Police said the gunman had fled before they arrived and was still being sought last night.

In another West Baltimore case, two teen-agers have been charged with killing a youth and a 38-year-old man whose bodies were found early Sunday morning in the man's basement.

Anthony Sylvester Fair, 15, of the 1800 block N. Monroe St., and Ernest Crawford, 16, of the 1800 block N. Carey St., were arrested Monday and charged as adults with two counts of first-degree murder and handgun violations, police said.

Sam Ringgold, a police spokesman, said those two slayings were drug related and that the two suspects -- both high school dropouts -- knew the 17-year-old victim, who was a student at Douglass High School.

The victims, Rodney Lamont Ross, 17, of the 1100 block of N. Calhoun St., and William Joseph Fortune, 38, were found shot to death in the basement of Mr. Fortune's house in the 1100 block N. Carrollton Ave.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.