Sergeant freed on $50,000 bail

January 27, 1993|By Glenn Small | Glenn Small,Staff Writer

Sgt. James A. Kulbicki, the Baltimore police sergeant charged with murdering a woman who had filed a paternity suit against him, walked out of the Towson courthouse yesterday, free on $50,000 bail.

Judge J. William Hinkel ignored a deputy state's attorney's arguments, reduced Sergeant Kulbicki's $750,000 bail and removed the restriction that the bail be paid in cash. Judge Hinkel said he didn't believe Sergeant Kulbicki is a threat to society or a risk to flee.

The unshaven Sergeant Kulbicki, 36, thanked the judge and told reporters he was going home to take his 8-year-old son, Allan, for a walk and maybe to McDonald's.

Inmates at the county jail, where Sergeant Kulbicki has been held in isolation since his arrest, protested the judge's decision by going on a hunger strike yesterday afternoon.

Joseph Nueslein, the father of Gina Marie Nueslein, 22, who was shot in the head and whose body was dumped in a state park, said more than 50 friends and relatives had telephoned to say they couldn't believe the bail had been reduced.

"People can't believe it," Mr. Nueslein said. "I can't believe it, buteverybody else can't believe it either. . . . It just boggles my mind. I'm sorry, but it just boggles my mind."

Mr. Nueslein and his wife, Geraldine, have been taking care of their daughter's son, 17-month-old Joseph Nueslein, the subject the paternity suit. Mr. Nueslein said he was upset by Sergeant Kulbicki's comments about being away from his son, Allan, for two weeks.

"My 22-year-old daughter has been gone from her son for more than two weeks and she'll never be able to take him for a walk or to McDonalds," said Mr. Nueslein. "When that boy starts saying, 'Where's Mommy?' What do you say to him?"

Sergeant Kulbicki was charged with murder Jan. 12, just days after Ms. Nueslein's body was discovered in a remote section of Gunpowder Falls State Park. Police said they found bullet fragments and blood stains in his pickup truck and tire tracks at the murder scene that matched his truck's tires. They also found a jacket with blood on its sleeve. Also, Sergeant Kulbicki, who was scheduled to appear in a Baltimore courtroom Jan. 13 for a hearing on Ms. Nueslein's paternity suit, had reportedly threatened the woman. According to court records, she told her boss days before the killing of her fears.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.