Towson Catholic gets past St. Frances

Metro roundup

January 25, 1993|By Bob Clark | Bob Clark,Contributing Writer

They had shot less than 40 percent in the opening half and were tied at 20 against host St. Frances at intermission, but the Towson Catholic Owls were right where coach Mike Daniel wanted them.

"We were controlling the tempo of the game and getting the ball where it was supposed to go," said Daniel. "We were getting good shots, we knew eventually they'd begin to fall."

The Owls opened the second half with an almost flawless performance, hitting six of their first seven shots from the field as they ran off 13 straight points on the way to a 62-52 Catholic League victory over St. Frances at the University of Baltimore yesterday.

Senior guard Richard Rhinehart, who led the Owls with 21 points, sparked that early third-quarter run with a couple of sharp feeds inside for baskets by Konata Springer and Jason Fink (10 points) and Rhinehart added a pair of three-point plays himself with two drives along the baseline.

After Rhinehart's second three-point play, the Owls' lead had grown to 39-22 with just over a minute left in the third quarter.

"When we're playing well we can look very good," said Daniel, whose team improved to 8-8 overall and 3-3 in the Catholic League. "But we're still trying to establish some more consistency. It'll take time."

That lack of consistency showed up midway through the fourth quarter when the Panthers rode a shooting spurt by junior guard Orlando Ranson to cut a 55-33 Towson Catholic lead to 60-52 in the closing seconds.

Ranson scored 19 of his game-high 27 points in the fourth quarter, connecting on six of nine from the field, including four three-pointers. He also hit three foul shots when he was fouled on a three-point attempt.

"We just couldn't put St. Frances away," said Daniel. "We couldn't do anything with Ranson in the fourth quarter when he got a hot hand."

Ranson was the only Panther to score in double figures as St. Frances dropped to 4-9 overall and 2-4 in the Catholic League.

St. Frances opened quickly, scoring the game's first seven points in less than two minutes and led 9-2 midway in the first quarter.

But the Panthers went six minutes without scoring a point and over seven minutes without a field goal as the Owls forged ahead 16-10 three minutes into the second quarter.

The Panthers pulled even at 19-19 on a three-pointer by Ranson late in the second quarter and the teams went into the intermission tied. Both teams shot 33 percent in the second quarter, each making just two of six field-goal tries.

The Owls get back into MSA A Conference action tomorrow when they host St. Paul's. St. Frances next plays on Friday at St. Maria Goretti.

Ray Allen scored 16 points and Greg Lessner added 15 as host Mount St. Joseph (8-11, 4-4) defeated Gibbons in double overtime in a Catholic League contest.

Donte Abron added 14 for the Gaels, who sealed the victory in the second overtime on a free throw by Kenny Krabitz with four seconds remaining.

Jerard Rucker led Gibbons (13-8, 4-2) with 20 points. Richard Dent and Kevin Dukes each had 16.

Calvert Hall 79, Curley 62

Chris Wilson scored 24 points and Brian Taylor added 14 as Calvert Hall (13-5, 7-1) defeated host Curley (2-11, 0-7), in a Catholic League game. Brian Schilpp led Curley with 16 points and Dwight Byrd had 13.

Loyola 68, St. Maria Goretti 48

Warren Parker scored 20 points and Wes Unseld, Jr. added 12 as visiting Loyola (14-5, 6-1) defeated St. Maria Goretti in a Catholic League game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.