The Harford Gymnastics team captured first place at the Atlanta Crown Gymnastics Invitational in Duluth, Ga., with a score of 98.75.
Aimee Dellone, Sherri Doyle, Kristy Heron, Lindsay Robbins, Angela Simmons, Laura Neumann, Kelly Storck and Kristen Grimmel posted the highest score of the Level 7 optional competition and garnered 22 individual awards.
In the 9-11 age group, Harford swept the top three all-around spots. Grimmel took first place, followed by Simmons and Neumann. Neumann tied teammate Robbins for gold on balance beam. Simmons won vaulting and uneven bars.
In the 12-14 age group, Storck won second place on floor exercise. Doyle placed fourth on uneven bars, sixth on balance beam and seventh in the all-around. Heron finished fourth on balance beam, fifth in the all-around and fifth on uneven bars.
In open optional competition, Becky Robinson, Mandy Robinson, Mandy Naworol, Kelly McCreary, Tracy Wolf and Rachel Smedley captured the third-place team trophy against a field of 22 teams.
Becky Robinson won gold on floor exercise with a meet high score of 9.75. She won vaulting with 9.55. Naworol placed fourth on floor with 9.35 and sixth on vaulting with 9.20. McCreary's 9.10 on floor earned her fifth place.
In the 9-11 division, Wolf won first on vaulting, floor exercise, balance beam and all-around. Mandy Robinson was first on unevens.
Tracy Laubach was selected to the Level 8 All-East team. She posted an all-around score of 34.20 and captured sixth place.
* Under-10 -- The Edgewood Spirit held off the Harford Soccer Club Rowdies, 4-3, behind a two-goal performance from Jon Ryan. Also scoring for the Spirit were Craig Nearhood and Matt Green. Assists were made by Jon Hammel and Brian Dannenfelser. Alex Hutton and Nearhood played in the goal.
* Under-12 -- The Forest Hill Force (1-1) had a hard-fought 3-2 win over Joppatowne Wednesday night at the Maryland Sports Arena.
Daniel Watts scored the Force's first goal off an assist from Anthony Collurafici. Joppatowne scored to tie the game 1-1 at the half.
Watts scored the go-ahead goal late in the third period and fullback P. J. Kline scored the final Force goal. Eric Blom and Scott North were in goal for the Force.
* The Harford Kicks 81 A team defeated the Junior Outlaws, 5-2, in indoor soccer action. Paul Isbell, Brad Glascock, Brent Ritz, Justin Wingate and Eric Kuehn scored for the Kicks. Assists were credited to John Mundth, Ritz and Scott Anderson. Joey Matta and Ricky Brown combined with Isbell and Glascock in the goal for the Kicks.
* The Genstar Booters improved to 2-0 with a 6-3 win over Forest Hill. Goals were scored by Anthony Huczek and Alex Markiewicz (two) and Steve Markiewicz and Brent Haberkam. Haberkam and Steve Markiewicz also had two assists. Alexander Ioannidis and Giovanni Julian each had one assist. Ryan Nayden recorded 23 saves in goal.
The Booters also have a 8-6 win over Edgewood this session. Goals in that game were scored by Huczek (two), Alex Markiewicz, Nayden, Dan Magee, Haberkam, Julian and Justin Collins.
* Under-14 -- The Edgewood Spirit defeated St. Stephens, 15-1, in indoor soccer action Tuesday night at the Maryland Sports Arena. Scoring for the Spirit were Robert Gaines (four), Chris Kronner (three), Eric Dannenfelser, Justin Moe (two), Christian Rider, Trevor Mullins, Craig Hammel and Barry Hammer, one a piece. Moe and Steve Nearhood played goalie for the Spirit.
The Harford Y Hurricanes defeated Towson Y, 378-324, in a Chesapeake and Potomac swim meet at Magnolia Middle School. Harford winners included:
* Boys under-8 -- David Beach, 25-yard freestyle (15.71 seconds), 50 free (34.70); Ben Garback, 25 backstroke (19.12), 25 butterfly (17.04); Patrick Jones, 25 breaststroke (21.23); Beach, Garback, Jones and Chris Ouimet, 100 freestyle relay (1:13.34); Beach, Hughes, Jones, Garback, 100 individual medley relay (1:15.48).
* Boys 9-10 -- David Long, 100 back (42.11).
* Boys 11-12 -- Michael Taylor, Chad Smithson, Justin Troyer and J. J. Jones, 200 freestyle relay (2:02.02); Josh Hayden, Smithson, Jones and Taylor, 200 individual medley relay (2:24.22).
* Boys 13-14 -- Dan Machovec, 100 free (59.41), 200 individual medley (2:25.71), 100 fly (1:07.92); Brian Richardson, 100 back (1:02.15), 200 free (2:09.70).
* Girls under-8 -- Stephanie Hightower, 25 free (17.28); Lauren Betzing, 50 free (36.79) and 25 breast (23.06); Christina Isella, 25 fly (17.84); Betzing, Isella, Kelly Roth and Hightower, 200 individual medley relay (1:19.66); Hightower, Isella, Stacy McNamee and Betsy Belaguer, 200 freestyle relay (1:15.77)
* Girls 9-10 -- Christine Betzing, 50 free (29.33) and 100 individual medley (1:14.85); Rebecca Parrow, 50 fly (38.34); Erin Greason, 100 free (1:09.87) and 50 breast (38.02); Kerry Rzepecki, Sara Dellone, Greason and Betzing, 100 freestyle relay (2:08.04); Greason, Dellone, Betzing and Tina Woodward, 200 individual medley relay (2:22.59).