Glen Burnie holds off Arundel in overtime, 73-70 Wildcats' streak is halted at five Boys basketball

January 23, 1993|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Glen Burnie (10-2) outlasted Arundel, 73-70, in overtime last night. The victory was the fifth in a row for the 18th-ranked Gophers and broke the Wildcats' five-game winning streak.

The host Gophers dominated the first three periods and took a 57-40 lead into the final period, but the Wildcats (9-4) went on a 24-7 run that left them tied at 64 in regulation.

Vernon Osborne, a 6-foot-3 small forward, stepped up with two other senior inside men -- 6-6 Jamal Forbes and 6-7 Bill Dykhuis -- to combine for nine points in the three-minute extra period and put away the Wildcats.

Osborne (four assists, six rebounds) scored four of his 13 in overtime. Forbes (17 points, 11 rebounds) had three points and Dykhuis had two of his eight points in the closing minutes.

Kevin Higgins tied Forbes for game-high honors with 17 points for Arundel.

"We got too passive in the last period and they started bombing away," said Gophers coach Terry Bogle.

"It seemed like I just looked up at the clock and we were up by 17 and then, suddenly we were behind. We were playing good defense, but theywere hitting bombs and we fouled too much."

Arundel was 17-for-22 from the foul line; the home team was 6-for-11.

Using 12 players, Bogle frequently changed units, and the Gophers eventually wore the Wildcats down. Seven men played most of the way for the Wildcats.

L "We were tired at the end," said Arundel coach Gerald Moore.

Said Arundel guard Jeff Hedrick: "It was really tough to lose it after coming back the way we did. I'm proud of the way we played tonight. We'll be back.

"I just can't explain the way we played in the first half, but Glen Burnie was on fire [12-for-22 from the field in the first period and 17-for-36 for the half]."

After blowing the huge 17-point lead, Glen Burnie had to stage a comeback of its own to force the extra period. Junior guard Jeff Hedrick scored ten of his 16 points in the furious fourth including a length of the court layup off a steal and a free throw that put Arundel up by 64-62.

Hedrick was fouled with 17 seconds to go and hit the front end of two, but when he missed the second shot, 6-foot-5 Richard Abrams scarfed up the rebound. Abrams, the county's leading rebounder with nearly 16 per game, was neutralized in the first half and held to just two boards.

After grabbing just three in the third period, Abrams (16 points and 15 rebounds) pulled in six during the wild fourth period. The sixth rebound gave Arundel possession with 14 seconds left, but the Cats turned it over and Forbes under the basket at the buzzer sent the game into overtime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.