No. 6 St. Mary's stops outmanned St. Frances Girls basketball

January 22, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

No. 6 St. Mary's maximized its depth and minimized mistakes in defeating visiting Catholic League rival St. Frances yesterday, 76-66, in girls basketball.

The Saints (11-3, 6-1) had five players emerge with double figures, and St. Frances (10-5, 4-3) had only three players in the scoring column.

Freshman Annetta Davis had a team-high 22 points and 15 rebounds for St. Mary's, which was in need of a league victory after bowing to Mercy, 53-47, last Friday.

"We knew they really only had five players, so we were trying to get their legs a little tired. That was our strategy," said Saints coach Harry Dobson. "We can't trap them because they're just too fast. They'd blow by us like a tree on the side of the road if we tried.

"We just tried to match up with them man-to-man and make them run the whole length of the court and hopefully get them good and tired in the fourth quarter."

A pair of follow-ups by Davis in the closing moments of the first quarter gave St. Mary's a 15-11 lead. The Saints saw that lead grow to 11 with 4:56 remaining in the first half when Bridgette Smith ducked behind her screen and made a jumper just inside the three-point line. Smith finished the game with 16 points, followed by Missy Holmes with 12 and Kris Miller and Anne Donovan with 10 apiece.

Melba Chambers and Kristi Webb answered the Saints' 7-0 run and showed some touch with a pair of field goals near the foul line.

Chambers, a 5-foot-10 sophomore guard, was the game's scoring leader with 30 points, and Webb -- another sophomore -- finished with 20. The only other Panther to score was freshman Jakia Ervin, who added 16 points including a three-pointer at the halftime buzzer that cut the Saints' lead to 35-24.

Less than a minute into the second half, St. Frances cut the lead back to five on two consecutive steals by Webb, who immediately dished the ball off to Chambers for the easy layup.

St. Mary's roared back after a timeout and was ahead 43-30 with 3:12 left in the third quarter following a no-look pass from Smith to Holmes cutting through the lane.

"I knew it was going to be an up-and-down game because that's the way both of these teams like to play," said St. Frances coach Jerome Shelton.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.