Morgan State breezes to 2nd win in row, 82-65 Bears humble Delaware State

January 19, 1993|By Jerry Bembry | Jerry Bembry,Staff Writer

For a long time it didn't appear that Delaware State was going to make it out of the locker room for the second half of last night's game at Morgan State.

After a half in which they couldn't find the basket, no one would have faulted the Hornets for finding the team bus and skipping the second half.

After falling behind by as many as 22 points in the first half, the Hornets redeemed themselves after the break, at one point getting as close as six. But Morgan State regrouped and won the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference game in a rout, 82-65, at Hill Field House.

After losing its first nine games on the road, Morgan (2-9, 2-1) won its second straight. In doing so the Bears avenged a 102-85 loss to Delaware State (5-7, 2-3) in the consolation of the Hawk Classic at St. Joseph's University Dec. 5 in Philadelphia.

Morgan State got huge contributions from two players, who, at one time this season, have been suspended for fighting. Guard Chico Langston, who missed Saturday's win over the University of Maryland Eastern Shore after being ejected in last week's suspended game against North Carolina A&T, scored 24 points to lead Morgan. And center Malik White, who missed the first Delaware State game after being ejected for fighting the previous night, dominated the boards with 20 rebounds and added 12 points.

After falling behind 47-26 in the opening minute of the second half, Delaware State used its pressure defense to spark a 25-10 run -- capped by a jumper by Andrew Miles -- that pulled it to within 57-51 with 9:06 left in the game. The Bears had led by as many as 22 points in the first half.

But a dunk by White got the Bears rolling, and the 6-foot-11 center scored six points during the 25-14 run that put the game away.

The Hornets got off to the quick start, scoring the game's first six points and -- after a 5-0 Morgan run -- taking an 8-5 lead after a jump shot by Andre Griffin with 15:18 left in the half.

And then came the drought.

Facing Morgan State's full-court zone press, Delaware State -- averaging 74.3 points -- couldn't find the basket. After Griffin's jumper, Delaware State turned the ball over 13 times over the next 11:28 and missed its next 15 shots from the field.

The Bears began clicking with a balanced offense. Seven players scored during a 31-6 run capped by a layup by Obadiah Johnson that gave Morgan State its biggest first-half lead, 36-14.

Delaware State finally got a field goal when Griffin hit a three-pointer with 3:50 left in the half, but the Hornets were never able to get closer than 17 points the rest of the half. They went into the locker room trailing 45-26.

Langston had 14 points and White had 10 rebounds in the first half to lead Morgan, which hit 19 of 30 field goals (63.3 percent). Delaware State managed six of 26 field goals (23.7 percent) and seven of 21 free throws in the first half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.