Phyllis A. WallaceLabor economistPhyllis A. Wallace, a...


January 15, 1993

Phyllis A. Wallace

Labor economist

Phyllis A. Wallace, a labor economist and professor emeritus of the Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, died Sunday of an apparent heart attack at her apartment in Boston.

The Baltimore native was 69. In 1975 she became the first woman named a full professor at MIT. She retired in 1986.

As chief of technical studies at the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission from 1966 until 1969, she did the research on the employment practices of American Telephone & Telegraph Co. for a federal court suit that led to a 1973 consent decree that cost AT&T millions of dollars in back pay and wage adjustments for women and minority men.

The case was the subject of her 1976 book, "Equal Employment Opportunity and the AT&T Case." She wrote three other books on women, blacks and employment.

She was valedictorian of the class of 1939 at Douglass High School. She earned bachelor's and master's degrees from New York University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and a doctorate from Yale University.

She taught at the City College of New York, and she was on the faculty at Atlanta University from 1953 to 1957.

She worked as an economist and statistician for the National Bureau of Economic Research and was vice president for research of the Metropolitan Applied Research Center, both in New York City. She conducted studies of the Soviet economy for the federal government.

In 1983, she was awarded an honorary doctorate by Mount Holyoke College. At her retirement in 1986, the Sloan School established two funds bearing her name -- one provides support for doctoral candidates and the other for black visiting scholars.

In retirement, she promoted the Nubian Art Gallery of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and was a member of the museum's board.

Services were to be conducted at 7:30 p.m. today at Metropolitan United Methodist Church, Lanvale Street and Carrollton Avenue.

Survivors include her mother, Stevella Wallace; a brother, Samuel Wallace; and three sisters, Lydia Mills, Ophelia Wallace and Margaret Campbell. All are of Baltimore.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Friends of ,, the Nubian Art Gallery of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

Dana Lann

Marine lance corporal

Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Dana Lann, a Baltimore native, was killed in an accident Jan. 8 at Camp Lejeune, N.C., when a radio antenna his detail was erecting touched electrical wires.

The 20-year-old Vine Street native joined the Marines in the fall of 1990 and was a communications instructor.

He was a 1990 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute, where he was a running back on the football team and a guard on the basketball team. When back in Baltimore on leave or liberty, he played basketball with a team from the New Shiloh Baptist Church and other recreation teams.

Services were to be conducted at 10:30 a.m. today at the New Shiloh Baptist Church, 2100 N. Monroe St.

Corporal Lann is survived by his mother, Raiza Abdul-Rahim of Baltimore; his father, Toney Boyd of Baltimore; his stepfather, Anees Abdul-Rahim of Baltimore; his brother, Marine Lance Cpl. Damon A. Lann of Okinawa; two sisters, Lillian Thomas and Nzinga Abdul-Rahim of Baltimore; a grandmother, Lillian Smith of Baltimore; and a grandfather, Thornton Boyd of Baltimore.

Edward Windsor Jr.

Arts, health volunteer

Edward W. "Tim" Windsor Jr., a businessman and volunteer in the arts and health communities, died Jan. 5 at the Johns Hopkins Hospital of liver failure.

Mr. Windsor, who was 48 and lived on West Lanvale Street, was a member of the board of the Baltimore Opera Company and chaired the 1992 Opera Ball in November.

A volunteer at the Walters Art Gallery, he was a member of its Hackerman House Council.

He was president of the Harry L. Gladding Foundation, which sponsored the 1991 and 1992 Caregivers Conference of the Central Maryland Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. He also represented the chapter at the association's 1992 national meeting in New York City.

He was also a volunteer for the annual United Cerebral Palsy telethons.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Windsor was a graduate of Calvert Hall College.

He was active in the real estate business and was a partner in several enterprises that included, at his death, the Paul Stewart Salon, a unisex hair salon in Towson.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, he was a partner in the Chambord and Uncle Charlie's Bistro, restaurants in the old University Club building at Charles and Madison streets.

A memorial service was to be conducted at 7 p.m. today at the Hackerman House, Charles Street and West Mount Vernon Place.

He is survived by a friend, Paul S. Huether; his parents, Dorothy and Edward W. Windsor Sr.; a sister, Lois A. Pilachowski; and a brother, Robert D. Windsor. All are of Baltimore.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Alzheimer's Association or the Walters Art Gallery.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.