Suspect in burglary is killed after bolting from hospital

January 14, 1993|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

A suspect in a burglary who was injured in a fight with Baltimore police officers was shot to death last evening by an officer who fired at him as he tried to flee from the hospital where he was being treated, police said.

The man, in his 30s but still unidentified last night, had bolted about 4:45 p.m. from the emergency room of Bon Secours Hospital after his handcuffs were removed during an examination, said Agent Doug Price, a city police spokesman.

Darlene Early, 22, an officer for two years, chased the man outside the building and shot him once with her service pistol, causing him to collapse in front of the emergency room entrance, Agent Price said.

Police said that the man was brought back into the hospital, in the first block of N. Pulaski St., and was pronounced dead at 5:17 p.m.

The man had been arrested yesterday afternoon in the 300 block of N. Calhoun St. when officers caught him allegedly in the act of burglary at a home, Agent Price said.

In addition to burglary, the man was to have been charged with resisting arrest and assault on police officers because he fought with the arresting officers, Agent Price said.

"They had found him hiding in a third-floor bedroom closet . . . and he was recalcitrant and resisted arrest, which occasioned a struggle with three or four officers before he was brought under control," Agent Price said.

The man suffered a laceration to the head and also reported feeling soreness in his shoulder and one of his legs, Agent Price said.

The man complained of pain and asked to be taken for treatment, Agent Price said. It did not appear he had any broken bones or serious injury, the spokesman said.

At the hospital, Officer Early of the Western District was assigned to watch him, police said.

She was not one of the officers involved in the fight during the arrest, police said. No other officers were at the hospital.

An attending physician had begun to examine the man and had the patient's handcuffs removed to check his blood pressure and other vital signs, police said.

The man suddenly bolted and ran several feet down a narrow corridor leading to the exit, with Officer Early in pursuit, police said.

Both were outside the building when the officer fired the shot.

Police said that investigators were taking a statement from Officer Early last night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.