Baltimore officer is charged in slaying of woman Victim feared him, court papers say BALTIMORE CITY

January 13, 1993|By Michael James and Richard Irwin | Michael James and Richard Irwin,Staff Writer Staff writers Robert Erlandson and Richard Irwin contributed to this article.

A Baltimore police officer was charged last night with first-degree murder in the death of a city woman who was suing him over paternity of her son and who reportedly said that the officer was full of rage and appeared intent on killing her.

Sgt. James A. Kulbicki, 36, a nine-year veteran assigned to the Northwestern District, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder by Baltimore County police about 8:15 p.m., said E. Jay Miller, a county police spokesman.

Court charging papers allege the officer had been becoming increasingly violent toward the victim, 22-year-old Gina Marie Nueslein. Several days ago, Ms. Nueslein told her boss at work that she "probably would end up with a bullet in her head from Jimmy [Kulbicki]," court papers said.

Ms. Nueslein, of the 3300 block of Ramona Ave., was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head Sunday morning in a remote section of Gunpowder Falls State Park in eastern Baltimore County.

She is believed to have been killed elsewhere and her partially clad body dumped in the park, police said.

Investigators found bullet fragments and blood stains in Sergeant Kulbicki's black 1988 Ford pickup truck -- which, along with his pistol and car -- was confiscated Monday morning, police said. A tire track found at the scene matched the truck, court records said.

They also found a jacket at Mr. Kulbicki's Southeast Baltimore home, in the 3400 block of Toone St., that had blood -- believed to be Ms. Nueslein's -- spattered on the sleeve, court records said.

The officer, who had been promoted to sergeant in October, was immediately a suspect in the slaying due to a romantic relationship he had with the victim, police said.

In September, Ms. Nueslein had filed a petition in Baltimore Circuit Court asking a judge to declare Sergeant Kulbicki to be the father of her 16-month-old son.

A judge ordered blood tests for the officer and baby to determine if he was in fact the father, and a hearing was to have taken place in court this morning.

According to court records, two genetic tests were completed, both of which showed with 99 percent or better certainty that Sergeant Kulbicki was the father of the child.

But in interviews with police investigators in recent days, he denied ever having sexual intercourse with Ms. Nueslein and said he gave no credence to the genetic tests, court records said.

Ms. Nueslein claimed to family, friends and relatives that Sergeant Kulbicki had been growing increasingly angry toward her about not only the paternity suit, but also about the possibility of her dating other men, court records said.

She told her father recently that Sergeant Kulbicki appeared to be trying to avoid the paternity hearing and that she was becoming nervous that he might attempt to do something about it, the court papers said.

Ms. Nueslein also told a friend that on Jan. 7, the officer gave her a ride to work at a Royal Farm store six blocks from her home. She told him that "she did not want him," court papers said; she claimed the officer then started choking her and she had to flee from the vehicle.

She also told others that the officer threatened to shoot her if he ever found her with another man, and at one point stated, "If I can't have you, no one can," court records said.

Ms. Nueslein left to walk to work about 3:30 p.m. Saturday and never arrived. Her parents reported her missing that evening.

The following morning, a park ranger found her body in a remote wooded area at the end of Graces Quarters Road.

Police questioned the officer for several hours Sunday and confiscated his vehicles and weapons found at his home. City police suspended his police powers and put him on administrative duty pending the outcome of the investigation.

Last night, county police had notified Sergeant Kulbicki to go to Towson police headquarters to retrieve his pickup, Mr. Miller said. Mr. Kulbicki agreed and was en route to the station when, about four blocks from headquarters, officers pulled his car over in traffic and arrested him, Mr. Miller said.

Sergeant Kulbicki told police investigators that he last saw Ms. Nueslein on Friday and did not attempt to go see her on Saturday, court records said.

But Ms. Nueslein's father said his daughter had told him the officer seemed intent on giving her a ride to work on Saturday, the court affidavit said. Ms. Nueslein had said the officer had asked her several times how she was getting a ride, the affidavit said.

In their Northeast Baltimore living room last night, Ms. Nueslein's family watched television reports intently and cried aloud when the officer was shown in handcuffs.

"That's him, that's him," shouted someone in the crowded living room.

None of them wanted to discuss the man charged in the woman's murder.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.