Richard E. CullenSalisbury lawyerRichard E. Cullen, a...


January 12, 1993

Richard E. Cullen

Salisbury lawyer

Richard E. Cullen, a Salisbury attorney for 54 years, died Saturday of cancer at his home in Delmar.

Mr. Cullen was born in Franklin City, Va., but lived in Delmar -- an Eastern Shore town on the Delaware-Maryland border -- for 65 of his 78 years.

He was active in Wicomico County community activities and retired last year as a partner in the law firm of Cullen, Clark, Insley and Hanson.

Mr. Cullen attended the University of Maryland at College Park and served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

From 1947 to 1951, Mr. Cullen was chairman of the Wicomico County Liquor Control Board, and from 1954 to 1966 he was attorney for the county commissioners. He also served as attorney for several towns including Delmar and Hebron, and later was chairman of the county's Charter Revision Committee.

Mr. Cullen was a former president of the University of Maryland Law School Alumni Association and the Wicomico County Bar Association, and a member from 1970 to 1974 of the Democratic State Central Committee.

Mr. Cullen also was a charter member and past president of the old Wicomico County School for Retarded Children and a charter member and past treasurer of the Lower Shore Sheltered Workshop for the mentally and physically disabled.

He was a charter member and past president of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Delmar Memorial Post No. 8276, past senior vice commander of the state VFW and a life member of Elks Lodge No. 817 in Salisbury.

In 1983, he received the Salisbury Jaycees' "Boss of the Year" award.

He was a member and former trustee of St. Stephen's United Methodist Church in Delmar, Del., where services were to be conducted at 2 p.m. today.

Mr. Cullen is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Mabel Leitch; two sons, Robert A. Cullen of Brentwood, Tenn., and Christopher L. Cullen of Delmar, Md.; a daughter, Catherine Palmisano of Mount Airy; a brother, Charles M. Cullen of Delmar, Del.; a sister, Marjorie Bradley of Delmar, Del.; and five grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Coastal Hospice, Bateman and Wayne streets, Salisbury, Md. 21875.

H. G. Campbell Jr.

Construction executive

Harry Guy Campbell Jr., a retired vice president of the Harry T. Campbell & Sons Co., a concrete and construction firm that was started by his grandfather, died Saturday of heart failure at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

Mr. Campbell, who was 76 and lived on Army Road in Ruxton, was a former president of another family firm, Nottingham Properties Inc.

He retired in 1980 as a vice president of the concrete, quarrying and construction company, which the family sold in 1960.

He was known as "Mr. Harry" and as "Blacktop II," the name he used on the concrete firm's radio dispatching network. He would oversee construction, heavy grading work and sand and gravel operations in the field and knew all of the company's workers by their first names.

At his death, he was director emeritus of Nottingham, the family-owned real estate, construction and development firm of which he was president from 1965 until 1974.

Nottingham was started in 1942 and has developed projects in White Marsh, Towson and Columbia.

Mr. Campbell was a director of the Maryland Highway Contractors Association and a member of other business groups, including the National Bituminous Concrete Association, the Maryland Motor Truck Association, the National Crushed Stone Association, the National Sand and Gravel Association, the National Association of Contractors and the National Ready Mix Concrete Association.

He was fond of duck hunting, trapshooting, summers in Ocean City and animals, particularly his Rhodesian Ridgeback, Brandy, who died in 1991. His grandchildren and great-grandchildren called him "Poppy."

He was a member of the Mount Moriah Lodge of the Masons, the Scottish Rite, Boumi Temple, the Royal Order of Jesters, the Baltimore Country Club and the Towson Rotary Club, where he had perfect attendance for nearly 40 years.

He also served on the board of St. Paul's School.

A memorial service for Mr. Campbell was to be conducted at 2 p.m. today at Trinity Episcopal Church, 120 Allegheny Ave., Towson.

Mr. Campbell is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Jane Mills; three daughters, Carolyn Beall of Owings Mills, Taber Hook of Ruxton and Madeline Modica of Tiburon, Calif.

The family suggested memorial contributions might be made to the Shriners' Hospitals for Crippled Children through Boumi Temple. John J. McKoen, a retired National Security Agency employee, died Friday at his home in Melbourne, Fla., after a heart attack.

He was 67 and had worked for the NSA at Fort Meade for over 20 years. He lived in Glen Burnie before moving to Florida in 1985, where he worked as a computer security officer in Palm Bay.

Born in Wausau, Wis., he served in the Navy during World War II. He was a graduate of St. Norbert College in DePere, Wis.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.