Fairleigh Dickinson beats Mount St. Mary's, 60-57

January 10, 1993|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Staff Writer

EMMITSBURG -- Go figure.

Earlier last week, Mount St. Mary's went on the road, where it had a 24-game winless streak, and defeated two Northeast Conference opponents while shooting better than 50 percent in each game.

Last night, the Mountaineers returned to Knott Arena and couldn't hit much of anything. The result was a 60-57 defeat to Fairleigh Dickinson, a team that was off to its worst start since 1964-65.

Mount St. Mary's (3-7, 2-1) shot 36.5 percent from the field, made just two of 14 three-point attempts and got outfought inside by the injury-depleted Knights.

"I guess this is the place we don't want to be," said Mount coach Jim Phelan of the home court. "I knew this was going to be a hard game. They're patient, slow and they out-muscle us."

"I think we just had a little bit quicker jumpers," said Knights coach Tom Green. "We always try to play a little physically and aggressive."

It was the fifth straight victory in the series by Fairleigh Dickinson (2-6, 1-1), which has lost its two top veteran players, Clive Anderson (out all season) and David Freeman (six weeks) to knee injuries.

"This is going to be a long year for us," Green said. "Take away your two best returnees, and it's a big blow. We've got a lot of new faces, so you pray a lot more."

Mount St. Mary's had all the best of it early, as the Knights committed turnover after turnover. The Mount twice forged into a 10-point lead, the second time at 25-15.

But the Mountaineers, playing their fourth game within a week, lacked the firepower to put away their opponent, then ran into second-half foul problems with their big men.

Neither team managed more than a four-point lead in the second half, and the game wasn't decided until Mike Pollard hit two free throws with 16 seconds left for the Knights.

Mount St. Mary's had a chance to force overtime, but freshman Chris McGuthrie was well covered at sidecourt, and his three-point attempt bounded away.

"Any of our guards could have taken it," said Phelan. "Actually, thought they might foul us, but they didn't."

"We really tried to keep on [Kevin] Booth and McGuthrie," said Green. "Obviously, we thought it would be one of them."

"We just couldn't get any streak of shots going," said Phelan. "And we've got to be able to clear the boards. We might have out-rebounded them [43-38], but that was deceiving.

"They busted in and were getting the power baskets we couldn't get."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.