Shot at :01 lifts Hebron, 62-60 Boys basketball

January 09, 1993|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Staff Writer

Faisel Khan hit a 17-foot bank shot with one second left, giving host Mount Hebron a 62-60 victory over Centennial in a Howard County League opener yesterday.

Khan, who wasn't a starter at the beginning of the season, almost wasn't around for the game's finish. He picked up his fourth foul with three minutes left in the second quarter. It was a technical for inciting the standing-room crowd from the bench.

Then he sat out eight minutes of the second half. But when Mount Hebron made an inbounds pass with 16 seconds left, the ball went to Khan, whose long jumper with 54 seconds left had put the Vikings ahead 60-57.

The Vikings set up a screen off the inbounds pass, and Khan was supposed to pass to Phil Tonkins (22 points) or Kurtis Jestes (18 points). But Centennial double-teamed Khan, throwing off Mount Hebron's plan.

"Centennial [Jim Hill] did an excellent coaching job against us,'" Vikings coach Scott Robinson said. "They knew what we would do, and that was a good call by them."

As the clock ticked down, Khan made a 180-degree turn and launched the game-winning desperation shot.

"I didn't think it had gone in," Khan said. "But I knew the worst that could happen was overtime. I won a game last season with a buzzer-beater against Atholton."

Mount Hebron led throughout the first quarter, but Damian Biggs' three-point play tied it 13-13 at the end of the quarter.

There were six lead changes in the second quarter before Mount Hebron pushed out to the game's biggest lead, 30-22.

Biggs (16 points) picked up his fourth foul three minutes into the third quarter and sat out the next eight minutes.

Seann Jones (18 points) used his quickness and shooting ability to keep Centennial close.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.