Boys' Latin savors rare victory over Gilman, 25-24 Wrestling

January 09, 1993|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

In the words of Boys' Latin coach Jim Currie, "the boys just came out hungry" for the Lakers' second win over Gilman.

And yesterday, the seventh-ranked Lakers (4-0) edged No. 9 Gilman (1-1), 25-24, in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference match before a standing-room-only crowd at Boys' Latin's Mary U. Iglehart gymnasium.

But their first win since 1988 over the Greyhounds wasn't assured until Pat Cairns (189, 10-4) beat John Wise, 7-0, to give the Lakers a 25-18 lead.

"It was counted on in our team strategy that I would win, even though I didn't know anything about the other guy," said Cairns, who weighs 175 pounds. Boys' Latin led 22-18 after Gilman's Jamie Biddison (171) posted an overtime takedown to earn a 4-2 win over Chris Smith (11-3) in a battle of MSA runners-up.

With a guaranteed six-point forfeit victory to heavyweight David Shapiro -- one of two Boys' Latin forfeits -- Gilman led, 24-22 -- hence the importance of Cairns' effort.

"I felt some pressure to pin, but I knew Smith was too good for that," said Biddison (13-5). "We knew that Wise was at a disadvantage being a freshman, but he wrestled well."

Gilman led 6-0 after Arman Taghizadeh received a forfeit when the Lakers' Josh Silverman -- who beat him last year -- didn't make weight. The Lakers' cut it to 6-3 when Tim Berger (14-1) scored a second-period reversal on Allen West and held on to win, 2-0.

Gilman's fourth-ranked, two-time MSA runner-up, Gerard Harrison (119, 15-0), used three takedowns to beat Ashley Harrison, 9-5. Before yesterday, Ashley (11-5), who was fourth in the MSAs, had not lost to Gerard by more than two points in four previous meetings.

The overall match was tied at 9 after the Lakers' Mike Harrison (125, 14-3) -- leading only 4-3 -- scored a takedown and second-period pin of Mike Saunders, but the Greyhounds regained the lead at 12-9 after Jeff Wilke (130) scored a mild upset, 5-3, of Jim Quin (11-3).

"Every match was key, and I thought Saunders had wrestled well until then," said Greyhounds coach Chris Legg.

"I saw Gilman twice and wanted to wrestle them straight up, not make any lineup changes," said Currie, whose Lakers were champs in both the Aberdeen and Loch Raven tournaments, and will hold their tournament today. "We ended flip-floping our guys at 140-and-145, and at 152-and-160."

Gilman's Alex Slagle (135) wrestled well against the area's pin leader, Shane Marquess (14-2, 11 pins), but his 5-2 loss tied the match at 12, and Mike Henke -- coming off of a victory over Bullis' former sixth-ranked Kevin Cronin -- lost, 2-1, to Mike Cangemi (140, 14-3).

Gilman trailed 18-12 after the Lakers' Lev Galitzen (145, 10-5) used an escape with 15 seconds left to win 4-3 over John Bond.

Without injured starter Mike Kim (152, shoulder), Gilman dropped Mark Shavers from 160 and replaced Shavers with sophomore R. C. Kauffman.

Jarrett Leeb trailed 6-0 against Shavers but lost only 6-5, failing to gain back points in their bout's waning moments. Teammate Eric Fitez (160, 14-4) scored a major decision.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.