Man guilty in murder at Metro Victim was slain on path to station

January 09, 1993|By Glenn Small | Glenn Small,Staff Writer

Nigel Antonio Carter, 17, was convicted yesterday in Baltimore County Circuit Court of robbing and killing 28-year-old Christina Marie Brown as she walked along a secluded footpath on her way to the Metro station from her job at Owings Mills Mall.

The eight-man, four-woman jury deliberated 4 1/2 hours over two days before returning a verdict for the Sept. 25 murder. Carter and his family listened silently as the jury foreman said "guilty" four times, for first-degree murder, felony murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and a handgun violation.

Gerald A. Kroop, Carter's attorney, asked Judge Christian M. Kahl for extra time before his client is sentenced. Mr. Kroop wants a psychiatrist to examine Carter. Mr. Kroop also said he needed time to research the law relating to sentencing a juvenile to life in prison without the possibility of parole, the penalty the state is seeking against Carter.

Judge Kahl gave Mr. Kroop 90 days to prepare for the still unscheduled sentencing hearing and also ordered a presentence investigation of Carter's background.

"I'm obviously very pleased with the verdict," said Steve Bailey, the assistant state's attorney who prosecuted Carter. "I'm sure Ms. Brown's family feels that justice has been served."

After the verdict, jurors met with Judge Kahl for 20 minutes, then spoke briefly with Mr. Bailey.

"They said they had a real debate over the issues," said Mr. Bailey. "They said they tried very hard to treat him fairly."

All 12 jurors declined to be interviewed by the media.

During the trial, Carter's cousin testified that he confessed to the killing. The prosecution also used Carter's confession to police and the fact that he led police to the place where he discarded the dead woman's purse.

Throughout the trial, Mr. Kroop strongly attacked two homicide detectives for the way they interrogated Carter after his Oct. 7 arrest. He accused them of "tricking" Carter into confessing, and urged jurors to disregard the confession because it wasn't made voluntarily.

Mr. Bailey said the verdict vindicated the police.

"It was their hard work that made it an easy case to try," he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.