Noonan helps Arundel slip past Chesapeake, 34-27

January 08, 1993|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

Heavyweight John Noonan is getting accustomed to pulling Arundel's wrestling team out of tight spots.

Noonan's 3-2 title victory in last weekend's Arundel Holiday tournament helped the hosts (4-1) dethrone No. 13 Chesapeake (3-3), which was fourth.

And last night at Arundel, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound junior pinned Chesapeake's Chuck McConnell with seven seconds left to lift the 11th-ranked Wildcats to a 34-27 win over the Cougars.

"I looked up at the clock and thought it was over because he was riding me well," said Noonan (11-0, nine pins), whose reversal and fall overcame a 7-3 deficit with 40 seconds left. "I can't take all the credit. It was a total team effort."

Chesapeake won six of the first seven bouts, including four straight from 125 to 140, to lead 27-6. But Arundel got a pin from Sean Quigley (152), a major decision by Greg Hepfer (160) and an 8-3 win from Matt MacIntosh (145) to trim it to 27-19.

A fall by Arundel's sixth-ranked Greg Booth (171, 10-1) cut it to 27-25 before teammate Brian Marshall's (189) 7-0 decision gave the Wildcats their first lead, 28-27.

Arundel tournament champ Ron Alexander (125, 13-2) edged Arundel's Don Waters, 5-3, in a controversial bout; fellow Arundel champ Steve Davis (130, 10-3) nailed his fourth straight pin; Steve Shirk (135) had a technical fall; and county and regional champ, Doug Horton (140, 6-1) scored a 12-6 decision.

Sophomore Matt Howard (103) overcame an early 2-0 deficit, building a 13-2 lead -- including nine back points -- before pinning Arundel's Fred Beadenkopff in the third period. Senior teammate Mark Downey (112) beat Chad Webber, 14-0.

Arundel and Meade tournament champ Dan Waters (119, 9-1) scored a second-period pin to cut Chesapeake's lead to 10-6 and set up a rematch of last weekend's tournament final, won, 7-5, by Alexander over Dan's twin, Don.

Alexander, who trailed 3-0 after second-period back points, tied the bout on a reversal and a penalty point entering the third.

Alexander scored what appeared to be a buzzer-beating takedown for a 5-3 win, but referee Don Warren added 21 seconds to the clock.

"That 21 seconds was the last thing I saw when I looked up at the clock," said Warren. "I had inadvertently blown the whistle, but the takedown was earned."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.