Capt. Rafael ArengoDeath march survivorRetired Army Capt...


January 08, 1993

Capt. Rafael Arengo

Death march survivor

Retired Army Capt. Rafael A. Arengo, a survivor of the Bataan Death March who had enlisted in the Philippine Scouts in 1932, died yesterday of pneumonia at the Francis Scott Key Medical Medical Center.

Captain Arengo, who was 79 and lived on Greengage Court in Woodlawn, moved to the Baltimore area in 1959 after retiring from the Army in 1959.

First stationed in the United States in 1952, the ordnance officer was last assigned to the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala.

Born in Balasan, in the Philippines, he joined the Scouts after his graduation from the High School in Iloilo.

He served in the U.S. Army in the Philippines, Guam, Japan and Saipan, and in the Korean War before being assigned to posts in this country.

He participated in the Bataan Death March early in World War II.

Fond of flower and vegetable gardening, he was also a sports fan and watched many games on television.

A Mass of Christian burial for Captain Arengo was to be offered at 9 a.m. today at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church, 6950 Dogwood Road.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Lucila Calambro; two daughters, Linda Winter of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Lolita Heimbach of Towson; three sons, Romeo Arengo of Centreville, Ohio, and Ray and Les Arengo, both of Woodlawn; and 10 grandchildren.

Wesley Garlock Sr.

SCM foreman

Wesley R. Garlock Sr., a retired foreman in the St. Helena pigment plant of SCM Chemicals, died Tuesday of cancer at St. Agnes Hospital.

Mr. Garlock, who was 61 and lived on Darrow Drive in Catonsville, retired in 1991 after 27 years at the plant. He worked earlier for the E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. and in the late 1950s owned a service station in Catonsville.

A native of Baltimore, he attended Boys' Latin School and was graduated from Catonsville High School. He served in the Navy during the Korean War and was a member of the American Legion.

Services for Mr. Garlock were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Leroy M. and Russell C. Witzke Funeral Home, 1630 Edmondson Ave., Catonsville.

His wife, the former Ann Wolfe, died in 1977.

Surviving are two daughters, Anne G. Shope of Charlotte, N.C., and Bonnie L. Bright of Baltimore; three sons, Wesley R. Garlock Jr. of Hagerstown, Jeffrey D. Garlock of Daytona Beach, Fla., and Scott A. Schmidt of Baltimore; two sisters, Clara May MacNamee of San Francisco and Ruth G. Anderson of Westminster; two brothers, Donald L. Garlock of Roanoke, Va., and Ellsworth D. Garlock of Baltimore; and eight grandchildren.

Charles M. Willis

Postal supervisor

Charles M. Willis, a retired supervisor of mail carriers at Baltimore's main post office, died Sunday after an apparent heart attack at his home on Ruskin Avenue. He was 69.

Mr. Willis retired in 1973 after 31 years in the postal service. For many years, he also worked part time for Schunick Caterers.

A native of Baltimore, he attended city public schools and served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II.

He liked to repair watches as a hobby and to do work around his home. He was a member of the Super 20 social club.

Services were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the March Funeral Home, 4300 Wabash Ave.

His wife of 42 years, the former Mary Scroggins, died Oct. 12.

Mr. Willis is survived by two daughters, Sandra Y. Street of Randallstown and Joyce W. Chapman of Baltimore; a sister, Marguerite Clary of Baltimore; and six grandchildren.

Mary Hoshall Garrett

Gardener, seamstress

Mary Hoshall Garrett, who was fond of flower gardening and made clothing for her family and friends, died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at the Anne Arundel County Medical Center in Annapolis.

Mrs. Garrett, who was 73 and was known to family members as Missey, had lived in Arnold since 1954 and had been a member of the Asbury United Methodist Church for 36 years.

The former Mary Hoshall was born and reared in Freeland and was a 1935 graduate of the Sparks High School.

In 1937, she married Joseph M. Garrett, who retired about 15 years ago as a tool engineer for the Koppers Co. In 1938, they moved to Baltimore, where they lived until they moved to Arnold.

Services were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the Barranco and Sons Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road, Severna Park.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.

Norman C. Phelps

Maintenance chief

Norman Chester Phelps, a maintenance chief for the Maryland Aviation Administration, died of heart complications Dec. 24 at North Arundel Hospital. He was 60.

A lifelong resident of Severn, Mr. Phelps attended Anne Arundel County public schools.

He was a member of the Maryland National Guard and worked for the Maryland Aviation Administration for 40 years.

Mr. Phelps was a 32nd degree Mason and enjoyed gardening, country music and raising hogs.

Services were conducted Dec 28.

Mr. Phelps is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Shirley M. Sweeney; two sons, Norman Edward and Randall Lee Phelps, both of Severn; one brother, Ernest Phelps of Severn; one sister, Della Munn of Brooklyn, Md.; four grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; one niece; and three nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.