2 die in police custody

January 08, 1993|By Roger Twigg HHTC | Roger Twigg HHTC,Staff Writer

A story in The Sun yesterday reported incorrectly the sex of Muriel Campbell, a man who died Sunday while in the custody of Baltimore City police. In a story in Thursday editions, it was reported incorrectly that a woman's pregnancy was terminated after she was wounded by a shotgun. In fact, the woman's pregnancy was not terminated. In both articles, erroneous information was supplied by city police.

Two women apparently died of natural causes while in the custody of Northwestern District officers after separate incidents that occurred Sunday, a city police spokesman reported.

The investigations will be completed when the department receives the autopsy report for each of the women, Agent Doug Price, a police spokesman, said yesterday.


Agent Price said both women had histories of medical problems. One woman is believed to have been a drug abuser with a history of mental problems, he said. The other woman suffered from an enlarged heart and had undergone detoxification treatment at Liberty Medical Center shortly before she was arrested on Sunday morning, Agent Price said.

The women were identified as Renee Yvonne McKenny, 33, of the 3900 block of Dolfield Ave. and Muriel Campbell, 36, of the 1800 block of N. Charles St.

Agent Price said Ms. McKenny was taken into custody after her boyfriend reported that she had become violent and irrational. Officers found Ms. McKenny clad in a nightgown and robe running on the street outside her residence. The boyfriend told ,, the officers that Ms. McKenny suffered from drug abuse and mental problems, Agent Price said.

Ms. McKenny was taken to Sinai Hospital for observation. When the police vehicle arrived at the hospital, Ms. McKenny was found semiconscious and incoherent. She died a short time later, Agent Price said.

Ms. Campbell died at Sinai at 1:33 p.m. Sunday, about an hour after police discovered that she was unconscious at the Northwestern District lockup, Agent Price said.

Ms. Campbell was arrested at Liberty Medical Sunday and charged with trespassing. She was treated for substance abuse at the hospital but she refused to leave after she was released, Agent Price said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.