Maryland women squeak past Clemson in ACC opener, 64-60

January 07, 1993|By Cobb Oxford | Cobb Oxford,Contributing Writer

CLEMSON, S.C. -- The No. 3 Maryland women beat their third ranked opponent in a row by outlasting No. 20 Clemson, 64-60, at Littlejohn Coliseum last night in an Atlantic Coast Conference game.

"This is probably our most important win of the season because it's the first in the ACC," said Maryland coach Chris Weller. "This conference has already had seven of its nine teams ranked in the top 25. If that's not an indication that the ACC is the best conference in the country, I don't know what is."

Maryland (9-1) trailed 56-53 with 6:26 remaining. But field goals by Jessie Hicks, Bonnie Rimkus and Malissa Boles put the Terps ahead 59-56 with 3:45 remaining.

"We told our players going in that Maryland was relentless," said Clemson coach Jim Davis. "They were overpowering inside, and they just kept coming. This one hurts, but you have to remember they're No. 3 in the country."

The loss dropped Clemson to 7-2 overall, 1-2 in the ACC and ended a five-game winning streak.

Maryland, which won its seventh in a row, was led by guard Katrina Colleton, who scored 19 points, 15 in the second half, and grabbed 11 rebounds. Hicks and Boles contributed 17 points apiece.

Maryland outrebounded Clemson 45-37, and the Terps pulled down 12 offensive rebounds in the second half.

But Clemson, which led 32-27 at the half, did not cave in. A layup by Rhonda Jackson and a putback by Shandy Bryan put the Tigers back in front 60-59 with 2:06 remaining.

Bryan was Clemson's leader with 17 points and 10 rebounds.

With 1:41 to play, Hicks provided the play of the game when she got bumped inside on a short jumper. She converted the free throw for a the three-point play to give Maryland a 62-60 lead.

"I'm glad the shot went in," said Hicks, who has had her career high of 27 points twice against Clemson. "I don't know why I play well against Clemson. I try to play well against every team we play."

After a Clemson miss, Maryland claimed the ball and tried to run some clock. But with 22.7 seconds remaining, Clemson's Jessica Barr tied up Rimkus to give the ball to the Tigers.

Clemson went for the victory, but Rema Miller's three-point shot with five seconds left bounced away. Colleton made the final margin four points by making two free throws with 0.1 left.

Maryland's 2-3 zone limited Clemson to 35 percent from the field. The Tigers took 66 shots, 24 from three-point range.

"We were determined from the opening tap, but so was Clemson," Weller said. "I don't want to do anything this year, but play hard and have fun with it."

In the first half, there were 11 lead changes before Clemson broke a tie at 17 with an 8-3 run for a 25-20 lead with 4:58 left in the first half.

Maryland had one stretch of 5:02 without a field goal in the first half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.