Key holds off Walkersville rally

January 06, 1993|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Staff Writer

The Francis Scott Key girls basketball team withstood furious fourth-quarter rally by visiting Walkersville to come away with a 50-47 win in Uniontown last night.

zTC Francis Scott Key was leading 44-30 entering the final quarter, but Walkersville closed the gap to 49-47 with 14 seconds left. Key's Shelley Smith hit one of two from the free-throw line and Michelle Griffith's three-pointer in the closing seconds was well off the mark to preserve the Key win.

"I just tried to maintain my composure so the girls would do the same down the stretch," said Key coach Brian Hollingsworth.

"All season long, we needed to beat a quality opponent and we did so tonight. It was the first time in six years we knocked off Walkersville."

The win improved Francis Scott Key to 2-5 overall and 2-1 in the Monocacy Valley Athletic League, and Walkersville fell to 1-6.

The second half was in itself two different games.

After a close first half in which Key's 23-17 lead late in the second quarter was the biggest either teams would enjoy, Key appeared ready to run away with things with a 19-point third quarter.

After Erin Murphey missed her first two shots in the third, she connected on her next four to help build a 14-point Eagles lead. She wouldfinish the night with a game-high 16.

Walkersville, meanwhile, was struggling offensively -- mostly from three-point range -- and it did a solid job of boxing out.

"I think the girls realized at halftime we could play with these girls and showed it with that third quarter," Hollingsworth said.

"We knew going in, [Michelle] Griffith would shoot a lot of threes, but didn't think the rest of the team would. For the first time all year, we did what the other teams did against us with boxing out and grabbing the rebound. That was big, especially on those three's."

Walkersville had the bigger lineup, but didn't take full advantage of it until its fourth-quarter rally.

Down 44-33 with just over six minutes left, Walkersville went to Christy Malley and Tracey Grossnickle to cut the lead to six at 46-40.

With 21 seconds left, Grossnickle hit on a turnaround jumper off a missed foul shot to cut the lead to 49-47, but that's all the closer Walkersville would get.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.