Gibson's 21 points lift Frederick over injury-plagued Liberty

January 06, 1993|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Staff Writer

At times last night it seemed as if Frederick junior B.J. Gibso could do whatever he wanted on the basketball court against Liberty.

Gibson could shoot from the outside and inside, get one rebound after another and put the Cadets' offense in gear with some sharp passes.

To top it all off, the exceptionally quick Gibson jammed the ball on a break with 1 minute, 13 seconds left in the game to virtually wrap up a 58-46 victory over the Lions in an intense Central Maryland Conference game at Liberty.

Gibson, a 6-foot-3 junior who already has been contacted by Temple, St. Joseph and Maryland-Eastern Shore, had 21 points and 13 rebounds in a one-man show that injury-plagued Liberty could not overcome.

With standout forward Josh Gursky (torn ligament muscle in his neck) and star point guard Ross Yastrzemsky (bruise on his right foot) sitting on the bench in street clothes, the Lions (2-6) were unable to come up with enough offense against the run-and-gun Cadets (3-4).

Gursky will be out at least two more weeks and possibly the entire season, and Yastrzemsky is expected to return in another week.

However, Liberty stayed with the much quicker and more talented Cadets for the first half and led 21-18 with 1:02 left before halftime.

Frederick gained a 21-21 tie at halftime on Jeff Williams' three-point shot, and the Cadets continued the run in the opening three minutes of the second half.

Frederick scored the first eight points of the second half for a 29-21 advantage. The last six of those points came with Liberty's leading scorer Mike Davidson on the bench.

"I took Mike out because he was trying to do too much on his own," said Liberty coach Scott Kohr, who yanked Davidson with one minute gone in the third quarter. "He has a tendency to do that. We're looking for a total team concept."

Liberty never drew closer than four points after the third-quarter run by Frederick, and the Cadets spurted in the fourth quarter behind Gibson.

As Frederick pulled away in the second half, tempers flared between the two teams.

With 39 seconds left in the game, Frederick's Blaine Bizik and Liberty's Davidson were ejected after a brief altercation. And at the end of the game, some of the players on both teams exchanged angry words.

"It's a shame we had to have those kind of things happen," said Kohr. "It was kind of an ugly game in the second half. I think players on both teams should respect each other. If they can't, then we should."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.