Seymour D. SilverToxicologistSeymour D. Silver, retired...


January 06, 1993

Seymour D. Silver


Seymour D. Silver, retired head of the chemical research laboratories at the old Edgewood Arsenal, died Saturday after a heart attack at the Ginger Cove retirement community in Annapolis. He was 86.

Dr. Silver began working as a toxicologist at Edgewood in 1938 and retired in 1972.

In 1950, he began an emphasis on finding peaceful uses for chemical and bacteriological research when he was named to the United States Interdepartmental Committee on Atmospheric Pollution and also chaired a panel at the first U.S. Conference on Air Pollution.

Author of more than 100 published professional papers, he also was named in many patents on laboratory devices and equipment.

In the 1940s, he also worked on the development of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation techniques and helped to start an industry liaison program that involved exchanges of information between chemical companies and the government. He also chaired a similar cooperative exchange program among chemists from this country, Canada, Australia and Britain from 1964 until 1972.

After his retirement, he served as a consultant to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health and to companies including Trident Engineering Associates in Annapolis.

He also had been a member of the Governor's Science Research Advisory Board in the 1960s and from 1975 until 1978 chaired the Governor's Science Advisory Council.

A fellow of the American Chemical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, he was a member of the Sigma Xi honorary scientific society and other professional groups and served on the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences.

Born in Hartford, Conn., he was a graduate of Yale University, where he earned his doctorate in organic chemistry in 1932.

He also worked as a toxicologist at the Worcester State Hospital in Massachusetts.

His wife of 56 years, the former Madeline Thune, died a year ago. They lived on West Strathmore Avenue in Baltimore for many years.

He is survived by a daughter, Emily Evans of Annapolis; a sister, Lillian Schwolsky of Hartford; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Private services were planned.

Claudia H. Beasman

Supervisor, receptionist

Claudia H. Beasman, who had worked as an assembly line supervisor and college receptionist, died Monday of cancer at her home in Granite. She was 87.

A native of Granite, the former Claudia H. Brantley was reared there and in Richmond, Va., and attended Randallstown High School.

From 1941 until 1957, she worked at the Koppers Co. piston ring plant and then worked for two years as receptionist at Woodstock College, then a Jesuit seminary.

As a young woman, she taught Sunday school classes at the Wesley Freedom United Methodist Church. Later, she served as cradle roll superintendent, keeping the baptismal records, at the Granite Presbyterian Church.

A resident of Eldersburg for many years, she was married to LeRoy A. Beasman, who operated a painting business before his death in 1957.

Services will be conducted at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Granite Presbyterian Church.

She is survived by a daughter, Anna Rose Anderson of Granite; a brother, Eugene Brantley of Granite; four grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Michael S. Peters Jr.

Sales clerk

Services for Michael S. Peters Jr., a sales clerk who was active in church work, were conducted Dec. 3 at the Kingdom hall of the Sequoia Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The 20-year-old Kathland Avenue resident was killed Nov. 28 in a shooting at a Catonsville barbershop in which the barber also was killed in what police described as a robbery attempt.

He had worked part time for two years as a jewelry sales clerk, customer service representative and inventory worker for Sears, Roebuck & Co. From April until October, he also worked part time at Procter and Gamble Manufacturing Co.'s Hunt Valley plant.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and of the Long and Foster Institute of Real Estate.

He had been named a Pioneer by the Sequoia Congregation because of his volunteer work, which had included helping to lay roofing shingles at its Kingdom hall on Bateman Street.

He is survived by his parents, Thelma and Michael S. Peters Sr., and two sisters, Sabrina Martin and Sophia Cox; all are from Baltimore.

Diana Koch Phillips

Tavern bookkeeper

Diana Koch Phillips, long the bookkeeper for a family-owned tavern and liquor store, died Monday of cancer at her home in Glen Burnie. She was 72.

She retired in 1985 after keeping the books for Frank's Den for 23 years.

The former Diana Koch was a native of Baltimore. Her husband, Frank A. Phillips, died in 1988.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Bernadette, 801 Stevenson Road, Severn.

She is survived by a son, F. Gregory Phillips of Millersville; a daughter, Leah P. Holmes of Monkton; a sister, Helen Link of Woodbrook; and four grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.