Dwight A. Dodge Sr.Chemical engineerDwight A. Dodge Sr., a...


January 05, 1993

Dwight A. Dodge Sr.

Chemical engineer

Dwight A. Dodge Sr., a retired chemical engineer and Army veteran who was active in church work, died Saturday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a stroke and heart attack in November.

After service in World War II, Mr. Dodge went to work as a paper and ink chemist for the U.S. Printing and Lithograph Co. division of Diamond International Corp. He retired in 1977.

During the war, he reached the rank of lieutenant colonel in the Army Chemical Corps after serving as commander of a chemical unit in Australia and New Zealand and then as chemical officer for the 308th Bombardment Wing of the 5th Air Force, which secured Clark Field and another airstrip after landing in the Philippines.

His decorations included a Presidential Citation and many service ribbons.

At the Arnolia church and earlier at the Boundary United Methodist Church, Mr. Dodge was financial secretary and TC Sunday school teacher. At Boundary, he had also been a youth leader for many years.

Born in Terra Alta, W.Va., he earned a chemical engineering degree at West Virginia University in 1934 and then worked for several research laboratories in New York City before World War II.

Services for Mr. Dodge, who was 80 and lived in Baynesville, were scheduled for 10 a.m. today at the Arnolia United Methodist Church, 1776 E. Joppa Road.

Mr. Dodge is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Evelyn Brooks; a son, Dwight A. Dodge II of Pasadena; a daughter, Jane Dodge Armacost of Upperco; a brother, Everett L. Dodge of Chicago; a sister Sue Boswell of Hyattsville; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Anthony J. Petti

'Tony the Barber'

Anthony J. "Tony the Barber" Petti died Sunday of heart failure at his Overlea home. He was 81.

Since he was 14, Mr. Petti was a barber who ran shops for about 40 years in Baltimore and later in Rosedale.

His first shop, at Luzerne Avenue and Preston Street, was opened in the late 1940s and closed in the late 50s. His second, Tony's Barber Shop on Kenwood Avenue, was in business for 30 years beginning in 1957. After closing his second shop, Mr. Petti continued to cut hair as a hobby until his death.

During World War II, Mr. Petti, a native of Little Italy, served as a naval petty officer -- cutting hair in the Atlantic.

He was married for 52 years to the former Helen M. Zakroczynski. She died in 1991.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow at St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church, Belair Road and Willow Avenue, in Overlea.

He is survived by two children, Ralph J. Petti of Perryville and Patricia L. Betz of Fullerton; a nephew he reared as a son, Ralph A. Patinella of Monkton; six sisters, Mary Picciano and Elizabeth Abruzzese, both of Philadelphia, Anna Gabriel of North Bergen, N.J., and Stella Zelkoski, Rose Zaraka and Catherine Cherigo, all of Baltimore; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. L. Errol Taylor, retired vice principal and head of the industrial arts department at the Carver Vocational-Technical Senior High School, died Thursday at St. Joseph Hospital of a stroke after heart surgery.

Mr. Taylor, who was 69 and lived on Grantley Road, retired from Carver in 1982. He had begun his career as a city educator 33 years earlier as a mathematics and mechanical drawing teacher.

A native of Baltimore, he was a 1941 graduate of Douglass High School and a 1949 graduate of the Hampton Institute, where he earned a certificate in carpentry and a degree in architecture. He also earned a master's degree in educational administration at Loyola College and did graduate work at New York University.

Active at St. Katherine since serving as an altar boy there, he was church treasurer from 1957 until 1988, when he became senior warden. He was also a member of St. Anthony's Guild.

Though he never practiced architecture professionally, he designed the undercroft at St. Katherine and did plans and designs for other churches and for friends.

During World War II, he served in the Army Corps of Engineers in the South Pacific, reaching the rank of staff sergeant.

A member of the Olympic Social Club at Hampton, he was also a charter member of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity at the university. He also belonged to several other social clubs.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of St. Katherine of Alexandria, 2001 Division St.

Mr. Taylor is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Mildred McGlotten; a son, L. Errol Taylor Jr. of Baltimore; a brother and sister-in-law, Cyril and Marie Taylor of Ashburn, Va., his stepmother, Nettie Taylor of Baltimore; a stepsister, Miriam Brown of Baltimore; a daughter-in-law, Lynne Taylor of Bowie; and two grandchildren. Katherine Schmidt Smith, a vice president of the Schmidt Baking Co., which was started by her grandparents, died Friday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a blood vessel burst. She was 84.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.