One man, two youths are wounded as 4 men open fire in West Baltimore

January 05, 1993|By Michael James and Roger Twigg | Michael James and Roger Twigg,Staff Writers

Four men wearing black jackets and carrying semiautomatic weapons opened fire on a group of people on a West Baltimore street yesterday, critically injuring a 21-year-old man and wounding a 12-year-old boy in the arm, police said.

A third victim, a 16-year-old boy, was shot in the foot before the gunmen ran from the 500 block of N. Fremont Ave., police said.

It was the second serious shooting incident in West Baltimore yesterday. Earlier, in an unrelated attack, a man was shot in the shoulder when he tried to stop three suspects from stealing his car on Reisterstown Road, police said.

The Fremont Avenue shooting occurred about 5:10 p.m. while several people were standing in front of a vacant building that used to be a barber shop. At least a half-dozen gunshots were fired, police said.

A 21-year-old Baltimore man, whose name was being withheld pending notification of relatives, was shot in the back while 16-year-old Robert Powell, of the 1900 block of W. Fayette St., was hit in the foot, police said.

One of the bullets traveled across the street and hit 12-year-old Donte Cross of the 500 block of Orchard St. in the right elbow, police said.

The man shot in the back was listed in critical condition last night at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The Cross boy was taken to the same hospital, where he was listed in fair condition.

The Powell youth was listed in fair condition at University of Maryland Medical Center.

Police said they are unsure what the motive was for the shooting.

Early yesterday morning, police arrested three suspects in connection with the car theft and shooting that occurred in the 4000 block of Reisterstown Road.

Agent Doug Price, a police spokesman, said the victim, Anthony Mitchell, 27, of the 3500 block of Gelston Drive, was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he was treated and released.

The incident began about 2 a.m. when Mr. Mitchell parked the car, a 1988 burgundy Hyundai XL, and left its engine running while he knocked on the door of a nearby residence. One of the suspects fired two shots at Mr. Mitchell when he tried to stop them from driving off in the car, police said.

The alleged car thieves were arrested about 3:30 a.m. when police stopped the car in the 3500 block of Cottage Avenue in Northwest Baltimore.

Agent Price identified the suspects as Larvon Langley, 22, of the 4800 block of Reisterstown Road; James Murphy, 17, of the 1600 block of N. Calhoun St.; and Richard Jones, 15, of the 2900 block of Druid Hill Ave.

Each was charged with assault with intent to murder, possession of a deadly weapon, use of a handgun in the commission of a felony and auto theft. The Murphy youth and the Jones youth were charged as adults, police said.

All three were being held at the Northwestern police lockup. Mr. Langley was held on $100,000 bail while the Murphy youth was ordered held on $75,000 bail. The Jones youth was awaiting a bail hearing last night, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.