Eugene A. FishFurniture store ownerEugene A. Fish, who...


January 02, 1993

Eugene A. Fish

Furniture store owner

Eugene A. Fish, who owned a furniture manufacturing and retail store on Pulaski Highway for nearly three decades, died shortly after midnight on New Year's Day after suffering his third stroke. He was 78.

Born Feb. 22, 1914, in Youngstown, Ohio, Mr. Fish and his family moved to Baltimore in 1922.

After attending City College and receiving a violin scholarship from the Peabody Institute, Mr. Fish attended the Johns Hopkins University, graduating in 1935.

He spent the next year at the University of Maryland Medical School but left to work in the family business, Fish Laundry, a dry cleaner with stores in Washington and Baltimore.

He joined the U.S. Army when World War II began and graduated from Officer Candidate School to become a lieutenant in charge a platoon of litter bearers. He saw action with the 5th Army in North Africa and Italy, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star.

Upon his return in 1946, Mr. Fish started Paramount Manufacturing, which built furniture from a location on Pulaski Highway. In 1952, the company changed its name to Paramount Furniture, concentrating on retail sales until going out of business in 1974.

Eight years later, Mr. Fish and his sons and daughter formed U.S. Security Systems, a burglar alarm company.

"It's a mark of my father that he started a new business at the age of 68 -- not an age when many people look at risk-taking," said his son, Michael Fish.

Mr. Fish served as vice president of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, a volunteer charitable organization that helped Jewish immigrants arriving in the United States. In that capacity, Mr. Fish sometimes met Russian immigrants at the airport and helped them obtain furniture, clothing, education or employment, his son said.

Services will be at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Sol Levinson and Brothers funeral home on Reisterstown Road.

Mr. Fish is survived by his wife, Henrietta; two sons, Michael and Jonathan; a daughter, Nancy; and two grandsons, all of Baltimore.

Emil Gathmann Jr.

Former state delegate

Emil A. Gathmann Jr., who founded his own company and once served in the Maryland House of Delegates, died early Thursday after a lengthy battle with lung cancer. He was 81.

Born in New York City, Mr. Gathmann spent most of his life in the Baltimore area. He was the retired president and founder of Gathmann Industrial Corp., an engineering sales firm.

His father, Emil A. Gathmann Sr., was the inventor of the depth charge and owned a munitions factory in Texas, Md., during World War II.

Mr. Gathmann attended Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., then went on to St. John's College in Annapolis. returned to the state capital in 1943 as a Baltimore County delegate, serving one term.

During World War II, he organized the first aircraft-warning stations in Baltimore County and gave courses on aircraft recognition for the U.S. Air Force Fighter Command.

He was a past president of the Paint and Powder Club of Baltimore, the Maryland Society for Metals and the Kappa Alphas Alumni Association of Baltimore. He was a past director of the Baltimore County chapter of the American Red Cross. He also belonged to the Boumi Temple, Palestine Masonic Lodge 189, and the Sons of the American Revolution.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Gail Wells Gathmann; a son, Jay Neal Gathmann of Baltimore; a daughter, Gail Patricia Becker of Wichita, Kan.; and three grandchildren.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave. The family suggests memorial contributionsbe made to the American Cancer Society.

James S. Alt

GM retiree

James S. Alt, who worked on the assembly line at General Motors Corp. here for 25 years, died of cancer Thursday at a hospital in Harrisonburg, Va. He was 54.

Mr. Alt was born July 22, 1938, in Ketterman, W.Va. He returned to his home state after retiring in 1991, settling in Franklin, W.Va.

He had worked on the truck line during his years at the plant on Broening Highway and was a member of the United Auto Workers, Local 239. For 10 years, he was a scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America. He had served in the Army.

Survivors include his wife, Kay Dahmer Alt of Franklin; four brothers, Kermit Alt and Loy H. Alt, both of Martinsburg, W.Va., Charlie Alt of Middle River and Walter Alt of Essex; four sisters, Edith Holloway of Upper Tract, W.Va., Ruth Helmick of Martinsburg, W.Va., Minnie Stump of Gerrardstown, W.Va., and Mary Ann Miller of Gainesville, Va.; four sons, Gerald Alt of Conowingo, Timothy Alt of Kline, W.Va., Andrew Alt and Kenneth Alt, both of Franklin, W. Va.; and four grandchildren.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Basagic Funeral

Home in Franklin, W. Va.

Lionel Linder

Newspaper editor

Lionel Linder, a former Marylander who was editor of the Commercial Appeal in Memphis, Tenn., died following a traffic accident in Memphis Thursday night. He was 61.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.