Three young men die in holiday traffic crashes

January 02, 1993|By John W. Frece and Peter Hermann | John W. Frece and Peter Hermann,Staff Writers

A fatal combination of speed and alcohol led to the deaths of two young men in Harford and St. Mary's counties over the New Year's weekend, police said yesterday.

A third young man from Baltimore was killed when he was thrown from a stolen car that crashed into a utility pole in the northeastern part of the city.

In Harford County, 20-year-old Mark Eric Adams, of the 2100 block of Mark St., north of Bel Air, was killed yesterday morning when the car he was riding in went out of control and struck a telephone pole.

Ray Panowicz, a dispatcher for the the Harford County Sheriff's office, said high speed and alcohol contributed to the accident. No charges have been filed, but the investigation is continuing.

Mr. Panowicz said the driver of the 1979 Chevrolet Corvette, 20-year-old Thomas Lee Greenfield of the 500 block of Westview Road, was flown by state police MedEvac helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was treated and released yesterday.

The dispatcher said Mr. Greenfield was driving east on Ruffs Mill Road, west of U.S. Route 1 and north of Bel Air, when he lost control, went over a bank and struck the pole shortly before 1:30 a.m.

Drinking and speed also led to the death of 23-year-old Lloyd Scott Harris of St. Mary's County just before midnight on New Year's Eve, according to state police in Leonardtown.

Police said Mr. Harris was driving a 1977 Chevrolet pickup truck east on Dynard Hurry Road in Clements when the truck left the road on a curve and struck a tree.

Mr. Harris was pulled from the wreckage by rescue workers from the 7th District Volunteer Fire Department from the town of Avenue and flown by state police helicopter to the Medstar unit at the Washington Hospital Center, where he died.

Police said they found opened and unopened containers of alcohol in the truck.

Earlier in the afternoon on New Year's Eve, a 1981 Honda Accord stolen two days earlier in Baltimore County and seen traveling at high speed crashed into a utility pole on Hillen Road inside the city limits.

John Leslie Kelly, of 2014 E. 31st St., was thrown from the car and died at the scene of the accident, city police said. Mr. Kelly had turned 23 three days earlier.

The driver of the stolen vehicle, 18-year-old Kevin Huey, of 2023 E. 31st St., was taken to the Shock Trauma center and University of Maryland Hospital, where he was listed yesterday in fair condition.

Police said the investigation was continuing and charges were pending.

Across Maryland, most state police barracks reported only a modest number of drinking and driving arrests over the New Year's holiday.

Four motorists were arrested by police from the Forestville barracks on charges of drinking while driving, for example, but Tfc. Michael Hawkins said that number was about normal. Other barracks reported declines in drinking and driving arrests.

"A lot of people probably stayed home and had a designated driver, the way it looks," said Trooper Hawkins.

In Bel Air, where state police charged one person with drinking and driving on Thursday, Tfc. John Fields said he was not particularly surprised. New Year's Eve often is relatively quiet.

"On New Year's Eve, people generally realize they're going to be out drinking, so they make all sorts of arrangements to stay at people's places overnight, or whatever," he said. "It is the Christmas office parties that keep us hopping, to tell you the truth."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.