Owls win, 57-55, on last-second shot Westminster Holiday Classic

December 31, 1992|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Jamie Grocki scored on a put-back with one second left to give host Westminster a 57-55 victory over Linganore in the Westminster Holiday Classic championship game last night.

Aberdeen (5-3) routed Francis Scott Key, 89-58, in the consolation game. Paul Smith led the way with 19 points, as Key fell to 1-5.

Grocki's basket negated a furious fourth-quarter comeback from Linganore. The Lancers' Billy Holley tied the game at 55 on the front end of a one-and-one with 20 seconds left.

Holley missed the second shot, and tournament most valuable player Todd Dorsey (10 points) grabbed the rebound for Westminster (4-3). Matt Brightful brought it up court and hit Dorsey in the left corner. Dorsey then missed a jumper.

The ball was knocked high into the air, and then came to Grocki on the right side. He put it right back with one second left for the victory.

"I guess I was just in the right place at the right time," said Grocki, a 6-foot-4 senior forward who scored four of his six points in the fourth quarter. "The ball came down, and I just saw it and got [it]."

Westminster appeared to have the game wrapped up after an 13-1 run midway through the game. The Owls led, 23-22, late in the first half, but stretched it to 36-23 with 4:56 left in the third quarter.

Poor shooting from Linganore (4-4) helped the Owls. The Lancers went 10:28 without a basket during the second and third quarters. After three quarters, Linganore had hit an anemic eight of 40 (20 percent) from the field.

Matt Brown (13 points) and Brad Scobie (11 points) helped the Owls, but Dave Jorgensen brought Linganore back in the final quarter. So did a 7-for-10 shooting effort from the field in the fourth quarter.

Jorgensen (game-high 18 points) scored 12 in the final quarter to lead the Linganore rally. After scoring 31 in the first three quarters, the Lancers rallied for 24 in the last one.

Jorgensen cut the lead to 51-47 with 3:12 left on two free throws. Linganore later cut the lead to two twice, the second time at 55-53 on Mike Weber's jumper with 42 seconds left.

Jorgensen then stole the inbounds pass and was fouled. He hit one of two, and Westminster got the ball back, only to turn it over once more, setting the stage.

The Owls turned the ball over 27 times, including three times in the last 90 seconds. Linganore gave the ball away 24 times.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.