Norman Ross FosterFirst Maryland officerNorman Ross...


December 31, 1992

Norman Ross Foster

First Maryland officer

Norman Ross Foster, a retired first senior vice president of First Maryland Bancorp, died Christmas Eve of emphysema at his Oxford home. He was 66.

Born in Montreal, he moved to Baltimore with his family in 1933 and graduated from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1944.

He served in the Army Air Forces until 1945 and then attended the University of Maryland in College Park, receiving a bachelor of science in business and financial management in 1949.

He began his business career with the Commercial Credit Corp. in 1950, rising to the position of district representative seven years later. He then became associated with First National Bank of Maryland as head of the retail credit department.

At First National, positions he held included director of Service Center Inc., a bank card processing company; director of Maryland Switch, a funds transfer system; and director of First Manufacturing House Credit Corp., a mobile home finance company.

In December 1984, Mr. Foster retired as first senior vice president of First Maryland Bancorp, senior vice president of First National Bank and executive vice president of First Omni Bank in Millsboro, Del. First Maryland is the holding company for First National and First Omni.

Mr. Foster lived in Arnold for 25 years before moving to Oxford in 1982.

He was a member of the Oxford United Methodist Church and of the St. Andrew's Society of the Eastern Shore.

Services for Mr. Foster were conducted yesterday at the Oxford United Methodist Church.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Perry Sultan; a daughter, Laurie Long of Annapolis; a son, Craig C. Foster of Dublin, Harford County; and five grandchildren.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Talbot Hospice Foundation, 100 S. Hanson St., Easton, Md. 21601.

Charles E. Young

BG&E station operator

Charles Edward Young, a retired chief station operator for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., died Nov. 12 of bone cancer at the Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas. He was 83.

The native Baltimorean graduated from Polytechnic Institute and later earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the Johns Hopkins University in 1931.

While at Hopkins, he graduated from the ROTC program with special honors and joined the Alpha Mu Tau fraternity.

He began working for BG&E in 1936 and was promoted to chief station operator of electric system operations in 1969. He retired in 1974.

He taught electrical engineering at Hopkins' McCoy College from 1947 to 1954.

He was a past president of the Lions Club of Pikesville and held memberships in the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., the Masons and the Hopkins Club.

In 1988, he moved to Las Vegas to be with his son.

Services for Mr. Young were held on Nov. 16 at the Lemmon-Mitchell-Wiedefield Funeral Home in Timonium and on Nov. 21 at Good Samaritan Lutheran Church in Las Vegas.

He is survived by his son, Carl E. Young of Las Vegas; two stepsons, David D. Holland of Westminster and Geoffrey D. Holland of North Carolina; four grandchildren; and three great-grandsons.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Nathan Adelson Hospice, 4141 S. Swenson St., Las Vegas, Nev. 89119.

Clifton P. Hensler

Fingerprint expert

Clifton P. Hensler, a fingerprint expert who was also a police detective and a correctional officer, died Sunday at the Charlestown Care Center of pneumonia and heart failure.

He was 90 and had lived in the Charlestown Retirement Community for about three years.

After working as an accountant in the freight department of a Chesapeake Bay steamship line, he joined the Baltimore police force in 1932 and was assigned for several years to the Northwest Annex, walking a post and then patrolling in a police car.

Then he was assigned to the detectives division, where he became an expert on fingerprints.

In 1955, he retired as a detective sergeant and went to work at the Maryland House of Correction in Jessup, where he handled fingerprinting of the prisoners.

He retired from the correctional system in 1972 as a lieutenant and classification officer.

During his retirement, he was often visited by former prisoners he had befriended. He also continued his education, which had been interrupted before he had been able to graduate from the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, and graduated from Catonsville Community College, where he studied criminal justice and business administration.

He was a former master of the Joppa Lodge of the Masons.

Services for Mr. Hensler were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Sterling-Ashton Funeral Home, 736 Edmondson Ave. in Catonsville.

He is survived by two sons, Clifton P. Hensler Jr. and Neil W. Hensler; a daughter, Myra Susan Heinz; and three grandchildren. All are of Catonsville.

Edward Heise

Insurance firm manager

Edward Heise, who headed local offices for the Monumental Life Insurance Co. before his retirement in 1983, died Sunday of cancer at a hospital in Louisville, Ky.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.