Northeast upsets Severna Park Bob Pascal tournament

December 30, 1992|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff Writer

The play was designed for guard Ed Nalley to take a pass on the right side and launch an open jumper. But when Severna Park's defense closed in too quickly, he had to improvise.

Nalley, a senior transfer from Glen Burnie, cut to the lane and hit an off-balance shot with nine seconds left last night to lead Northeast to a 62-61 upset of host Severna Park in the Bob Pascal Holiday Tournament.

The Eagles (3-4) will meet Chesapeake, a 68-43 winner over North County, in tonight's 8 o'clock final, after the 6 p.m. consolation game.

The Falcons (3-2) were ahead 30-12 on Tony Curro's drive with 2:35 left before halftime. But Northeast fought back to tie the score, 40-40, after three quarters, and moved in front for the first time, 42-40, on Nalley's baseline jumper. Severna Park reclaimed the lead, and went up by as many as eight points before the Eagles began chipping away again.

Two free throws by Northeast's Mike Eaton reduced the lead to 61-60 with 40 seconds left. After Nalley's basket, Severna Park's Chad Moran's long jumper bounced off the rim as time expired.

"It's a great win for these kids. It's a tribute to them to beat a team like Severna Park," said Northeast coach John Barbour, whose squad lost to the Falcons in last year's final, 86-67.

Nalley led the Eagles with 14 points, and Eaton had 12 off the bench. Severna Park's Bakari Ward scored 18 before fouling out late in the fourth quarter. Curro had 15 points, and Ron Green added 12 points and 15 rebounds.

The opening game pitted Chesapeake against North County, which had lost 32 straight games. And the Cougars quickly removed any doubt about whether the streak would grow to 33.

Chesapeake (4-1) bolted to a 15-4 lead after one quarter, and the Knights didn't make their first field goal until 6:10 remained before halftime, when Damon Henriques followed Teon Carter's miss. Henriques had the Knights' only three field goals of the half, which ended with Chesapeake leading, 32-11.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.