First-half 23-point run sends Centennial over Fallston, 92-54 North Carroll tournament

December 30, 1992|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Staff Writer

Centennial put on one of the most impressive basketball clinics ever seen in the boys semifinals of the North Carroll Holiday tournament yesterday.

Sixteenth-ranked Centennial (6-1) destroyed an outclassed Fallston (3-3) team with a 23-point run in the first half that sent the Eagles cruising to a 92-54 victory over the Cougars.

Twenty-three straight points gave Centennial a 38-14 lead with 4 minutes, 55 seconds left in the first half and made the rest of the game virtually meaningless.

The Eagles were nearly perfect in the first half (46-18 lead) and went on to place five players in double scoring figures. Brian Hulka led with 15 points and nine rebounds, Mark James had 13 points, Dave Hudson and Seann Jones each had 12 points, and Damian Biggs, 11.

The Eagles ran the fast break precisely, passing the ball as if they had been playing together for years, dominating the boards and seldom missing an open shot.

It was truly a clinic.

In the girls' semifinals, Fallston (3-2) took advantage of severe foul problems for Centennial and rolled to a 54-38 win behind 17 points by Pam Toth.

Toth, a smooth left-hander, answered every challenge by

Centennial with some nifty moves for important baskets.

Candy Credito had 14 rebounds for Fallston.

The Centennial girls (2-3) never recovered from a terrible one-point first quarter and 13 fouls called on four starters in the first half.

The Eagles had serious foul troubles -- three players fouled out -- 35 were called against them compared with 15 for Fallston.

Fallston hit 20 of 41 from the free-throw line for a 13-point advantage at the line (7 of 15 for Centennial).

Fallston coach Nancy Ferguson said: "Pam [Toth] got off to a slow start this season but she has her rhythm now. I know we had a big edge at the line, but that's what happens when you foul a lot."

Centennial coach Beth Brown had a different opinion: "We're a finesse team and had all those fouls called against us. Also, we played zone. It just seemed like we were in trouble with the officials before we walked into the gym."

In the boys' game, Fallston had cut the Centennial lead to 15-14 on a three-point jumper by Kernan Kelly with two minutes left in the first quarter.

But suddenly Centennial took over the game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.