Virginia J. HaysSpecial education teacherVirginia J. Hays...


December 30, 1992

Virginia J. Hays

Special education teacher

Virginia J. Hays, a retired special education teacher at the Edmondson-Westside Senior High School and a community activist, died Saturday of cancer at her home on West Forest Park Avenue. She was 61.

She had taught in Baltimore schools for 30 years before her retirement at the end of the last school year.

She was president for about 10 years of the Forest Park Neighborhood Association, was a member of the board of the Greater Northwest Community Coalition and was active on the Northwestern Police Community Relations Council.

During her years as the head of the neighborhood group, she actively supported the commercial redevelopment of the Garrison Boulevard and Liberty Heights Avenue area and the construction of a new firehouse nearby, the renovation of the auditorium in Garrison Middle School, and the construction of homes on the site of the old Mordecai Gist Elementary School.

The former Virginia Augustus Johnson was a native of Leesburg, Va., who came to Baltimore to attend Morgan State University, from which she graduated. She did graduate work at Loyola College and Coppin State College.

Services for Mrs. Hays were to be conducted at noon today at the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynns Falls Parkway.

She is survived by her husband, Daniel Henry Hays; two daughters, Virginia Lynn Hays and Nicole Kimberly Hays; and a son, Daniel William Hays. All are of Baltimore. She is also survived by a sister, Hazel J. Ward of Washington.

Julie Gantt Striegel


Julie C. Gantt Striegel, a secretary for a chemical engineering firm, died Monday of complications from anorexia and bulimia while visiting York, Pa. She was 36.

She was born in Charleston, S.C. When she was 1 year old, her family moved to Waynesville, N.C., where she graduated from high school. She later studied culinary arts for two years in Colorado and was also a certified dental assistant in Denver.

In 1986, she moved to Texas and two years later she married John M. Striegel. In 1991, she and her husband moved to Baltimore.

This year, she became the secretary to the board of directors of Hydro-Tech Chemical Engineering Inc., of which her husband is president.

She was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Waynesville.

A memorial service for Mrs. Striegel was to be held at 11 a.m. today at Wells Funeral Home in Waynesville.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by her parents, Robert M. and Barbara Glen Gantt of Waynesville; two stepdaughters, Sara G. Striegel and Laura M. Striegel, both of Houston; a half-brother, Robert M. Gantt III of Farmington Hills, Mich.; and two half-sisters Georgia Gantt of Asheville, N.C., and Mary Cathryn Gantt of Houston.


Edward Levenson

Baltimore Paint executive

Edward Levenson, a retired vice president and chief operating officer of the Baltimore Paint & Chemical Corp., died Thursday of a heart attack at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, Fla. He was 80.

Mr. Levenson was born in New York City and received bachelor's and master's degrees in chemistry from New York University in the 1930s. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

In 1945, he joined Baltimore Paint. He was made production manager in 1954, rose to became general manager and vice president, and was named chief operating officer in 1974.

In 1975, he received the Herman Shuger Award in paint technology. He retired to Seminole, Fla., two years later.

Mr. Levenson was a past president of the Baltimore Society oPaint Technology and of the Baltimore Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association.

Mr. Levenson's first wife died in 1986.

He is survived by his wife, Jeanette Senones Levenson, and a cousin.

Services for Mr. Levenson were conducted yesterday at the Garden Sanctuary Funeral Home in Seminole.


Alice Heffernan

Baltimore native

Alice Cuddy Heffernan, a native of Baltimore, died Sunday of congestive heart failure at a hospital in Atlanta.

The former Alice Cuddy was married in 1927 to George Heffernan Jr., a violinist and graduate of the Peabody Conservatory of Music.

They moved away from Baltimore and settled in the Atlanta area. Mr. Heffernan had become concert master of the Atlanta Symphony and the Atlanta Pops before his death in 1965.

Mrs. Heffernan was a bookkeeper at Sears, Roebuck and Co. iAtlanta for 25 years before her retirement in 1970.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Heffernan, who was 86 and lived in East Point, Ga., was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Atlanta.

Her survivors include two daughters, Alice Heffernan-Sneed and Adela Newsome, both of Atlanta; a brother, Roland Cuddy of Newport Beach, Calif.; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Virginia M. Fidler

Army employee

Virginia M. Fidler, a retired procurement technician for the Army at Fort Meade, died Saturday of cancer at the Harbor

Hospital Center. She was 60 and had lived in Glen Burnie for many years.

She retired in 1991 after working at the Army post for 17 years.

The former Virginia M. Palm was a native of Niagara Falls, N.Y., where she graduated from high school in 1951, shortly before moving to the Baltimore area.

Services for Mrs. Fidler were to be conducted at 9:30 a.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., Glen Burnie.

She is survived by her husband of 41 years, Donald C. Fidler; a son, Calvin Fidler of Glen Burnie; three daughters, Sheila Keating, Cynthia Talbott and Erin Frederick, all of Glen Burnie; a brother, Ronald Palm of Niagara Falls; two sisters, Thelma Holland and Theresa York, both of Niagara Falls; and six grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.