Bel Air edges Liberty, 61-59 gets Glenelg in championship Liberty Belle Boys

December 29, 1992|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Staff Writer

Bel Air held off a fourth-quarter rally by Liberty yesterday t advance to the Liberty Belle Christmas Tournament championship with a 61-59 win.

Bel Air (3-3) will face Glenelg in the final at 7 p.m. tomorrow, and Liberty will play Howard in the consolation at 3.

Liberty's Mike Davidson missed a three-pointer in the closing seconds, as the Lions rallied from a 13-point, first-half deficit but came up short.

Brian Trone gave Liberty its first lead with his second three-pointer of the fourth quarter, and the Lions went up 57-56 with 2:50 remaining.

Bel Air's Dennis Sulkowski -- who finished with a game-high 17 points -- hit one of two free throws to tie it at 57 and Mason McGlothen added two free throws to give Bel Air a two-point lead it never relinquished.

"We didn't play very well at the end, but did what we had to do to win," said Bel Air coach Bill George.

With the score 61-57 with 22 seconds left, Liberty's Eric Priddy made a pair of free throws to get the Lions back to within two.

After McGlothen missed the front end of a one-and-one with 14 seconds left, Davidson grabbed the rebound for Liberty.

With four seconds on the clock, he took a feed from Mike McGinnis along the right side, but his three-point attempt got the front of the rim.

"He's the guy I wanted with the ball," said Liberty coach Scott Kohr. "I told him after the free throws to go get the ball if he didn't have the rebound."

Kohr was looking for answers after another frustrating defeat. The Lions again played without point guard Ross Yastrzemsky, out with a nagging foot injury.

Yastrzemsky has missed the Lions' past three games with a bruise on the top of his right foot.

"We're a young team," said Kohr. "Yastrzemsky is really our floor leader, and it is tough without him. Without two starters [Josh Gursky out with neck injury], it takes awhile to see who will take charge."

Davidson led the way with 14 points, and Mike McGinnis and Trone each had 10.

Bel Air took a 10-2 lead in the opening minutes of the first quarter and enjoyed a 13-point lead in the second before Liberty began its rally.

"We came out asleep with no enthusiasm," Kohr said. "We were playing back on our heels instead of our toes and just waiting for something to happen instead of making things happen."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.