No. 15 Severn survives scare, rallies to top St. Mary's, 51-45 St. Mary's Boys

December 29, 1992|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Host St. Mary's gave 15th-ranked Severn School quite a scar last night before bowing to the Admirals in the Saints' Christmas Tournament, 51-45.

Down by 10 at the half, 30-20, to a team that had humbled them earlier in the season, 64-34, the Saints (2-7) staged a furious second-half comeback and led, 42-41, with 1:16 left, before Severn went on a 10-3 run to seal the verdict.

St. Mary's outscored the Admirals, 25-21, in the second half as 6-foot senior Charlie McCloud scored a game-high 27 points, including a pair of three-pointers in the final period.

The victory puts Severn (11-1) in the St. Mary's Tournament championship game tonight at 7:30 against South River. The Seahawks dealt Archbishop Spalding a 46-39 defeat in the first game last night.

St. Mary's and Spalding will play tonight's consolation at 5:30.

I'm really proud of the way our kids played because Severn is a great team," said Saints first-year coach Hank Gareis.

"They were a little down at the half because of the way they played in the first half, but they played great the last two periods. Severn got us at crunch time."

A horrendous second period left Archbishop Spalding (3-5) with too much ground to make up as defending tournament !c champion South River (4-2) won the first game.

"There is no doubt that period had a lot to do with us losing, and the main reason for it was simply poor shot selection by us," said Spalding coach Lee Dove, whose Cavs were held to just two points as the Hawks took a 27-18 lead at the half.

Spalding took a 16-13 lead at the end of the first period, but Rich Reilly's tap-in off an offensive rebound seconds into the second period was all the Cavaliers would score.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.