Anna W. CartonLawyer-activistAnna W. Carton, a...


December 29, 1992

Anna W. Carton


Anna W. Carton, a lawyer-activist who helped found one of the first law firms for female lawyers in Baltimore, died yesterday of natural causes at Baltimore County General Hospital.

Mrs. Carton, 90, was born in Ukraine, moved to the United States in 1904 and settled in North Dakota.

She and her husband, Nathan Carton, attended a school for chiropractors in Iowa before they both came to Baltimore.

She graduated from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1933 with the distinction of being the first mother in the history of Maryland to graduate from law school. Her son, Marvin, was then 6 years old.

In 1939, she became the president of the Maryland Women's Bar Association. In that office, she helped persuade the General Assembly to change the jury system to include women and minorities on juries.

The next year, she and Rose Zetzer and Jenette Siegal founded the first law firm for female attorneys in Baltimore and Maryland.

In 1945, Mrs. Carton ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the House of Delegates under the campaign slogan, "It takes a woman to clean out the House."

Mrs. Carton retired from the practice of law in 1964 and, with her husband, embarked on a wide range of merchandising activities in the Baltimore area. They owned a series of stores and became professional buyers.

In the 1980s, Mrs. Carton was a volunteer arbitrator in the consumer affairs division of the state attorney general's office.

She was a member of several Jewish women's organizations, including the National Council of Jewish Women and the Baltimore chapter of Hadassah.

She loved reading and was a library volunteer. She was also an avid bridge player.

Services for Mrs. Carton were to be held at 1 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. Inc., 6010 Reisterstown Road.

Mr. Carton died in 1980.

She is survived by a son, Marvin Carton of Potomac; two brothers, Abraham and William Weiss, both of Palm Beach, Fla.; a sister, Rose Honkosky of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

The family is working to establish the Anna W. Carton Scholarship at the University of Baltimore.

David A. Amos Jr.

C&P supervisor

David Arthur Amos Jr., a retired telephone company supervisor, died of cancer Saturday at the Stella Maris Hospice.

Mr. Amos, who was 72, was born in Loch Raven Village and was a 1939 graduate of the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, where he was on the swimming team and a member of Delta Sigma Nu fraternity.

After graduation, he worked for the Chesapeake & Telephone Co. before he enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1940 and was called to active duty in the Panama Canal Zone that same year. He was later reassigned to the amphibious forces and served in the Pacific theater until the end of World War II.

After the war, Mr. Amos returned to C&P. He also enrolled in the McCoy College of the Johns Hopkins University, receiving a degree in business administration in 1954. He earned a master's degree in liberal arts from Hopkins in 1968.

He was a member of the Delta Sigma Pi fraternity.

In the early 1950s, he coached a Little League team for ages 9 to 11 under the auspices of the Loch Raven Recreation Council. He was active in the Safety Services of the American Red Cross, becoming certified as a water safety instructor and a small craft instructor. He taught adult swimming classes for the Red Cross and sailing at Chesterwood Park for the Dundalk Recreation Council.

During his 38 years with C&P, where he was known as "Pete," he served in various capacities in the central office, in long distance and in the business office. He retired in 1977 as a staff associate in the commercial engineering department.

He was a life member of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

Services for Mr. Amos were to be held at 1 p.m. today at the Johnson Funeral Home on Loch Raven Boulevard.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Jean Amos; two daughters, Holly Zaharis of Slidell, La., and Stephanie Darnell of Delta, Pa.; a sister, Mabel V. Wiesner of Towson; and two granddaughters.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society or the Stella Maris Hospice.

Avon T. Grace

Care worker

Avon T. Grace, a direct-care worker for the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and later the Springfield Hospital Center in Sykesville, died Dec. 25 of kidney failure at his Baltimore home. He was 31.

Mr. Grace helped treat trauma victims at Shock Trauma from 1980 to 1985, also working with patients at Springfield starting in 1983 and moving over to Springfield after 1985.

He had attended Franklin Senior High School for two years and received his equivalency diploma from the Community College of Baltimore in 1979. Mr. Grace later attended Morgan State University for two years.

He was a lifelong member of Fountain Baptist Church at Monument Street and Central Avenue in Baltimore.

In his leisure, he enjoyed progressive jazz and easy-listening music.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.