William Marquess IIIInsurance executiveWilliam H. Marquess...

December 28, 1992

William Marquess III

Insurance executive

William H. Marquess III, chairman of the board of the Harford Mutual Insurance Co., died Tuesday of unknown causes at his Cockeysville home.

Mr. Marquess, who was 74, joined Harford in 1949 as manager of accounting, and was named president in 1965. Twelve years later, he was elected chairman of the board and remained in that capacity after he retired as president in 1982.

The Macon, Ga., native graduated from Davidson College and later became a certified public accountant. He served in the Army from 1941 to 1946 and retired from the Army Reserve in 1961 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Mr. Marquess served as president of the Mutual Inspection Bureau, the Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies and the Maryland Association of Mutual Insurance Companies. He also served on the boards of directors of the Maryland Association, the Baltimore Equitable Society and Harford National Bank, and as treasurer of the American Association of Insurance Services.

He was also instrumental in the formation of DEVCO Mutual Association in 1961 and was designated member emeritus of the executive and governing committees in 1992.

His activities included trusteeship of the Baltimore Museum of Art, St. Paul's School for Girls, Florence Crittenton Services of Baltimore and the Royal Society of St. George. For 30 years, he served as treasurer of Brown Memorial Church.

A memorial service was scheduled for 3 p.m. today at Brown Memorial Woodbrook Presbyterian Church.

His wife, M. Virginia Gillette Marquess, died in 1989.

Mr. Marquess is survived by a daughter, Alice Sargent Marquess of Baltimore; a son, William H. Marquess IV of Oxford; and a brother, John R. Marquess of Sea Island, Ga. The family has suggested memorial contributions to Brown Memorial Woodbrook Presbyterian Church's sanctuary fund, 6200 N. Charles St., Govans, Md. 21212.

Irene Seuel Davies

Homemaker, volunteer

Irene Seuel Davies, a homemaker and volunteer, died Nov. 21 after a series of strokes at the Fairhaven retirement community in Sykesville.

The Indianapolis native graduated from Butler University in Indianapolis with a degree in English in 1925, then studied social work at the Johns Hopkins University.

In 1928, she married the late Roland C. Davies, founder, editor and publisher of Telecommunications Reports. They lived in the Washington area, where Mrs. Davies was active in the Women's Auxiliary of St. Alban's Church and dedicated many years to the "Super Sixties" crafts program.

Beginning in 1946, Mrs. Davies enjoyed many summers with her family in Sherwood Forest near Annapolis, where she was also active in community affairs.

In 1965, she moved to Annapolis after being widowed and continued her volunteer work at St. Anne's Church and the auxiliary of Anne Arundel General Hospital. In 1980, she moved to Fairhaven.

Services are planned for 10 a.m. today at St. Anne's Episcopal Church in Annapolis.

Surviving Mrs. Davies are her children, Roland C. Davies Jr. of Philadelphia and Catherine Foxcroft Janssens of Annapolis; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

The family suggests that memorial contributions be sent to the Sherwood Forest Endowment Fund, Sherwood Forest, Md. 21405.

Cecilia C. Strohmer

Homemaker

Cecilia C. Strohmer, a homemaker and native of Baltimore, died Friday of cardiac arrest at Leader East Nursing and Rehabilitation Center of Harrisburg.

Mrs. Strohmer, 97, was a member of St. Catherine's Laboure Catholic Church in Harrisburg, Pa., and the widow of Frank Strohmer.

A memorial mass was scheduled to be offered at 2 p.m. today at St. Catherine's, 4000 Derry St., Harrisburg.

Mrs. Strohmer is survived by two grandchildren, two great-granddaughters and two nieces.

Dorothy M. Belford

Former nurse

Dorothy M. Belford, member of Hamilton Presbyterian Church, died Dec. 25 at Union Hospital in Elkton of cardio-respiratory failure.

Mrs. Belford, 80, who previously lived in Baltimore, lived at Calvert Manor Nursing Home in Rising Sun.

Along with her membership in Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Mrs. Belford belonged to the Ladies Auxiliary of the Maryland State Game and Fish Protective Association.

She graduated from high school in her native Lititz, Pa., and was in the Class of 1932 at the Lancaster General Hospital School of Nursing, where she worked for five years after graduation.

She was married to Curtis E. Belford, who died in 1991.

Services were scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Hicks Home for Funerals, Bow and Stockton streets, in Elkton.

Mrs. Belford is survived by a son, Barry G. Belford of Elkton, three grandchildren and one great-grandson.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.