Untended coffee pot ignites house fire

December 27, 1992

A coffee pot left on a stove apparently ignited a fire that gutted the kitchen of a house in Manchester, a spokesman for the State Fire Marshal's Office said.

The fire, which caused extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the wood frame, split-level home, started soon after 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 3400 block of Millie Way, in the Whispering Valley subdivision.

The owner of the house, Katherine Fulcher, and her three sons were not home at the time of the fire.

A neighbor saw flames at the rear of the house and reported the blaze.

Fire equipment from Manchester, Lineboro and Hampstead brought the fire under control in about 30 minutes, though some firefighters remained on the scene for about three hours.

Fire officials said the cause of the fire was accidental. Damage to thebuilding was estimated at $30,000.

Fire equipment from Westminster and Pleasant Valley responded at 8:31 a.m. Thursday to a report of a chimney fire in a house in the 400 block of Uniontown Road.

Fire officials said smoke from a wood stove started to fill the room and the family suspected a chimney fire. Firefighters found no fire in the chimney, but removed the ashes from the stove.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.