Southwestern runs past Northwestern No. 8 Sabres overcome turnovers to win, 87-67

December 22, 1992|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,Contributing Writer

There wasn't much time for Southwestern to savor its biggest win of the season Friday over Southern. It was back on the floor yesterday at Northwestern.

There wasn't any time for practice, either, but the No. 8 Sabres overcame that and a slight letdown in defeating the Wildcats, 87-67, in a Maryland Scholastic Association Gamper Conference 3A-1A Division game.

"We definitely let down," said Southwestern coach Boys basketball

Terry Leverette. "That was next to the worst game we've played so far this season. That game looked as worse as Carver [52-50 win Tuesday]."

How bad was it?

The Sabres (4-1, 3-0) and Northwestern (1-5, 1-3) featured poor ball-handling, kicked balls, errant passes and missed layups. There were 71 turnovers (Northwestern had 39, Southwestern 32).

But when Southwestern needed to respond, it did, going on a 13-0 run midway through the fourth period after the Wildcats had pulled to within 64-57.

For the second straight game, junior swingman Wilbert Smith led the Sabres in scoring with 21 points. Donnie Joy added 18 and Haywood Eaddy had 14.

"I don't think we had that much of a letdown," said Eaddy, a 5-foot-8 junior point guard. "Every game, we come out and play the best that we can, and whatever happens happens."

In Friday's 82-72 victory, Southwestern gained command with a second-quarter run and maintained it despite a three-point charge at the end by Southern.

Yesterday, the scenario was the same, but the only difference was both teams' sloppy play meant no lead was secure.

Leading 25-20 after the first quarter, the Sabres opened the second with six straight in a 14-4 run to extend their lead to 39-24.

The halftime score was 47-31 in favor of Southwestern, but Northwestern was ahead in the turnover race by a 22-13 margin.

Northwestern played without two starters -- freshman guard Eric Littlejohn (sprained ankle) and junior forward Charles Walker (injured right wrist) -- but the Wildcats still had Andre Crockett.

Crockett, the area's leading scorer with a 26.6 average, scored Northwestern's final six points of the third

quarter to make it 61-49 heading into the final period.

Trailing 64-53, Crockett made a layup and then a steal, eventually leading to a basket by Hubert Sandy, closing Southwestern's lead to 64-57 with 5:15 remaining in regulation.

But the Sabres did what Leverette described as "finishing a game," scoring the next 13 points, as Smith (four points), Eaddy (four) and Andre Swann (five) did the damage.

Crockett, a 6-2 senior guard, finished with 27 points. Freshman forward Charles Owens had 21 and nine rebounds.

"It was just execution, that's all," said Northwestern coach Mel Washington. "Our execution wasn't as good as it needed to be. We're a young team, and by being so young, they make mistakes."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.