Bond is denied for man, 51, held in abduction-rapes

December 22, 1992|By Alan J. Craver and Jackie Powder | Alan J. Craver and Jackie Powder,Staff Writers

A computer analyst charged with the abductions and rapes of women in Mount Airy and Dayton was denied bond yesterday at a hearing in Howard County District Court.

William Kirk Evans, 51, of Silver Spring, is charged with two counts each of first-degree rape, first-degree sexual offense, assault with intent to rape, kidnapping and burglary.

Mr. Evans, a senior systems analyst for the United Mine Workers Health and Retirement Fund in Washington, also is a "serious suspect" in at least three burglary-assaults in Montgomery County that occurred between April 1990 and July 1992, said Howard Assistant State's Attorney Tracy Gilmore.

"Because of the seriousness of the charges, the state feels the defendant is a threat to the community," said Ms. Gilmore.

District Judge Lenore Gelfman denied bond at yesterday's hearing for Mr. Evans following the prosecutor's appeal.

Mr. Evans, who appeared at the hearing via video camera at the Howard County Detention Center, had asked Judge Gelfman to set bond so he could help his family repair the "emotional devastation" caused by his arrest.

The defendant also asked the court for a hearing to determine whether prosecutors have enough evidence to hold him on the charges. No date for the hearing has been set.

Mr. Evans faces a maximum penalty of four life sentences if he is convicted.

He told Judge Gelfman that he has worked for the United Mine Workers fund for 3 1/2 years. Before that, he said, he worked for Arbitron in Laurel for about eight years.

The defendant, who holds a master's degree in environmental biology, said he was a teacher for 16 years before becoming a computer analyst. He said he also served two years in the military, but did not say which branch.

Mr. Evans said he and his wife, Mary Evans, have lived in their Silver Spring home on Rhapsody Lane for about 3 1/2 years with their 5-year-old daughter.

He said he cares for his 80-year-old mother and has paid child support for three children from a previous marriage for about 10 years.

The defendant acknowledged that he received five years' probation for a conviction on assault, battery and false imprisonment in Prince George's County in 1980. A charge of assault with intent to rape was dropped as part of a plea agreement.

Mr. Evans was arrested Saturday in the parking lot of Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, where he said he was undergoing treatment for compulsive obsessive behavior.

Police arrested Mr. Evans after finding a Dodge Colt in a driveway of a home in the Tanglewood development in Silver Spring that matched the description of the car used in the Mount Airy attack Nov. 23.

Mr. Evans' home, a two-story residence with a single-car attached garage, matched the description of the residence where the Mount Airy woman was assaulted, according to court charging documents.

A detective was checking that area, near U.S. 29, because several burglaries and rapes have occurred there, police said.

Police traced the car to Mr. Evans and learned of his prior arrest.

The detectives matched his fingerprint to one lifted from the scene of the Mount Airy abduction.

In that case, a man wielding a rifle or shotgun entered a house in the 17000 block of Frederick Road and forced the 22-year-old victim into his car.

Her 4-year-old daughter was left behind unharmed, police said.

The man blindfolded the woman, tied her hands and drove her to a house where he attacked her, police said. The woman was released hours later in Laytonsville, a Montgomery County town about 11 miles south of Mount Airy.

The victim told police she believes the man may have followed her home from a Mount Airy shopping center.

In a similar incident May 14, a man carrying a shotgun or rifle broke into a house in the 14000 block of Triadelphia Road in Dayton and abducted a 19-year-old woman. She was blindfolded and bound before being forced from the house. The man then then drove her to a house and raped her, police said.

She was later released at a commuter parking lot near U.S. 29 and Route 216.

In both attacks, the women were forced to wear sunglasses with tape on the outside of the lenses and paper material on the inside, according to court charging documents.

The victim in the Mount Airy attack turned the sunglasses and the bindings used on her hands over to Howard County police. A latent fingerprint developed from the paper material in the sunglasses matched the fingerprint of Mr. Evans' left ring finger, court records state.

In the Montgomery County incidents, an armed assailant broke into three houses and assaulted the victims there, police said. Each victim's description of the assailant matches that of Mr. Evans, and their descriptions of the method of attack match that of the Mount Airy and Dayton abduction-rapes, police said.

Montgomery County police continue to investigate the three incidents. No charges have been filed in those attacks.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.