Man guilty of raping medical student Victim was abducted on her way to Hopkins Hospital

December 22, 1992|By Jay Apperson | Jay Apperson,Staff Writer

A 28-year-old East Baltimore man was convicted yesterday of abducting a 27-year-old medical student on her way to Johns Hopkins Hospital and then raping her and holding her for ransom.

Calvin Mayo III faces a maximum of life plus more than 60 years in prison at his sentencing, set for Feb. 8 before Baltimore Circuit Judge Elsbeth L. Bothe.

A jury deliberated an hour yesterday before finding Mayo guilty of kidnapping, armed robbery and extortion as well as first-degree rape and a third-degree sex offense.

The jury found that Mayo was the man who abducted the medical student about 7:30 a.m. April 10 as she made her way to the pediatrics unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The woman testified that Mayo approached her on North Wolfe Street, within blocks of the hospital, and said, "This is a holdup. I'm not going to rape you. I'm going to rob you." The student said the man ushered her through an alley and into a house in the 800 block of N. Durham St., where he beat her with a crutch, choked her with nylon stockings and raped her.

"He pushed me to the floor and told me to shut up, and he'd killed before and he'd have no problem killing me if I didn't do what he said," the woman testified. (Mayo was charged in 1985 with killing a drug dealer who was stabbed five times. He said he killed the man in self-defense and the charge was dropped, court records show.)

The medical student said she was raped again and ordered to set up a phone call to her boyfriend in which the rapist demanded a $200 ransom.

The boyfriend, also a medical student, testified that he went to an alley on North Wolfe Street and left a white envelope with 10 $20 bills on a parked car.

He said he saw a man in a ski mask, his hand in his pocket as if he were holding a gun, pick up the money. The woman was then released, the boyfriend testified. After being treated briefly in the emergency room at Hopkins Hospital, the woman led police to the house where she had been attacked.

Testimony showed that Mayo's sister had been living in the house but had been evicted.

Mayo was arrested four days later and charged in the incident.

The attack touched off calls for tighter security at the Johns Hopkins Hospital complex in East Baltimore.

Defense attorney Angela Shelton had suggested that her client was arrested after a shoddy, hurried investigation.

TC Lisa Forman, a scientist from a Germantown laboratory, testified that tests showed that sperm recovered from a condom at the crime scene could have come from the defendant but that not enough material was gathered to reach a positive conclusion.

In court, the victim looked at the defendant and said she was "positive" he was her attacker.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.