Hairston runs out of steam South River ace loses his first bout Wrestling notebook

December 21, 1992|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

This time, Jaron Hairston just didn't have the strength.

A week after pinning his way to the Frederick Douglass tournament title in a weight class that included Wilde Lake's fifth-ranked Mike Green, who was third in last year's 2A-1A state tournament, the 171-pound South River wrestler was within striking distance of completing another impressive performance.

Hairston entered his championship bout of the Lackey tournament Saturday night with a 10-0 record, including seven pins and a 6-4 semifinal victory over McDonough's third-ranked Chris Brown, who was third in last year's 4A-3A state tournament.

In his title bout, Hairston appeared to be cruising with a 4-0 lead over Springbrook's state semifinalist Mike Sniffen, a Montgomery County and regional runner-up last year, when Sniffen and the flu caught up with him.

Just 1:20 remained in the match when Sniffen nailed Hairston with a five-point move -- similar to the one Hairston used to pin his championship foe a week earlier.

Hairston fought off his back, shook free and had Sniffen in a deep pinning maneuver while trailing, 5-4, bringing him teasingly close to a back-point-earning angle.

But the best the weakened Hairston could do was force Sniffen to his side.

"I just didn't have the strength," said Hairston, who allowed Sniffen's bout-stealing escape with 27 seconds left on the clock. been bothering me for four days, and it finally got me. I kept trying to push it, but my body just wouldn't."

Despite flattening his opening-round opponent in 33 seconds, rTC Hairston wasn't his usual, pinning self. Going the distance against Brown and a 9-3 quarterfinal victory further sapped his stamina.

"I'm just not sure that he didn't leave everything in the match against Brown," said South River coach Chilly Orme. "He just wasn't up to par."

Travis Murdock, the Seahawks' 112-pounder, reversed a decision of a week earlier but still had to settle for a runner-up finish after a 7-2 setback against Thomas Stone's Quincy Dames, a senior who went 26-4 last year.

Murdock used a major decision and a technical fall victory to emerge from the lower middle section of his 14-man bracket, where he faced DeMatha's Brian Page in a semifinal bout.

In their title bout of the Douglass tournament a week earlier, Page edged Murdock, 5-3, but this time, Murdock won, 3-2.

For Broadneck's sixth-ranked regional champion, Charlie Bennett (119), who finished as a runner-up in the Sterling Lions tournament in Virginia over the weekend, here's an interesting note:

l DeMatha's Robert Alexander, who pinned Bennett for the Annapolis tournament crown, bumped up to 125 pounds at the Lackey tournament. Alexander, who won the season-opening victory in the Maryland Catholic Invitational at Archbishop Curley, scored three first-period pins to reach the Lackey title bout -- where he suffered his first loss, 5-4, to McDonough's fifth-ranked Tim Cummins.

The DeMatha Stags finished fourth in the 18-team Lackey event and will meet Northeast and Chesapeake tomorrow night in what should be a very competitive night of wrestling.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.