Hampstead blaze caused by electrical malfunction
An electrical malfunction in a piece of equipment in a logo printing shop caused a fire that damaged two Hampstead businesses Saturday, a spokesman for the State Fire Marshal's office said yesterday.
The 12:30 p.m. fire damaged the Sportsgrafics store, the Hampstead Gold and Diamond Center and two upstairs apartments, all located in one building in the 1200 block of North Main Street.
The exact piece of equipment that caused the fire had not been determined yesterday, said Faron Taylor, a spokesman for the state fire marshal.
He had said that investigators believed that the blaze was accidental.
No one was injured in the two-alarm fire that caused about $100,000 in damage and drove three people out of the second-floor apartments.
Nine fire companies helped battle the blaze, including two ladder trucks from the Owings Mills and Hampstead fire companies that were used to give the firefighters access to the roof.
Fire officials called the fire under control within an hour, but traffic was blocked along North Main Street for at least an hour after that.
The fire was discovered by Charles Chinery, 64, who was working in Sportsgrafics.
He said he saw flames near a clothes dryer.
Other employees in the shop warned the residents of the apartments.
* Falls Road, Baltimore County: The Hampstead fire company was out for 15 minutes on a fire alarm call at 11:52 a.m. Sunday.