Severn traps Mount Hebron with big comeback, 61-50 Boys basketball

December 19, 1992|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Staff Writer

As the third quarter wound down at Mount Hebron last night, the visiting Severn Admirals wore the frustrated look of a beaten team. Their shots were not falling, their passes were not finding their marks and after futilely chasing Hebron for half the game, the Admirals were staring at a 13-point deficit.

That's when Severn produced its trump card, the half-court trap. And in the face of Severn's defensive pressure, Hebron blinked during a disastrous fourth quarter, as Severn stormed back with a 27-3 run over the final 11 minutes to stun the Vikings, 61-50.

The Admirals (9-1) won their eighth straight by forcing nine turnovers in the fourth quarter, as the Vikings (3-2), seemingly in control a few minutes earlier, came unglued. Severn did behind Brad Fowler and Jack Mack, two four-year starters who showed their mettle by scoring 17 of Severn's 23 points in the fourth period, when the Admirals outscored Hebron 23-3.

"We were standing around feeling sorry for ourselves, but I think we showed why we're ranked No. 15," Severn coach Jim Doyle said. "This [Hebron] is a very good, well-prepared team. I think they were looking to take care of the ball more than score in the fourth quarter. Sometimes it tougher to play with a lead than when you're behind."

With a little more than three minutes left in the third period, Hebron, which had led since early in the second period, took a 47-34 lead on a three-point basket by Mark Jensen.

The Admirals scored two baskets to cut the margin to 47-38 at the end of the period. But when Doyle decided to trap out of Severn's half-court defense, the game turned dramatically. Hebron turned the ball over on its first six possessions of the fourth quarter, and Severn completed a 15-0 run on a three-pointer by Fowler (game-high 17 points) to give the Admirals a 49-47 lead with 3:57 left.

Masai Demus gave Hebron its last lead, when he hit a three-pointer 20 seconds later, but that was it for the Vikings.

"I told them at the beginning of the fourth quarter to keep attacking the basket, and to play smart," Hebron coach Scott Robinson said. "Our guards just couldn't handle their pressure. We are not a good passing team. This could be a long year."

For a while, it looked as if it might be a long night for Severn. After the lead changed hands seven times in the opening period, the Vikings, who frustrated Severn with an assortment of defenses and forced 10 first-half turnovers, drew off to a 35-27 halftime lead.

Hebron remained in control in the third quarter, despite losing forward Phil Tonkins in the opening seconds after he committed his fourth foul. Severn cut the lead to 39-32 on a three-pointer by Carpenter, but the Vikings answered with an 8-2 run that gave them a 47-34 lead with 3:10 left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.