Southern 'arrives' in 2nd half, but Meade holds on, wins, 75-74 Boys basketball

December 16, 1992|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Southern's boys basketball team didn't show up until the second half at Meade last night, and it cost it dearly.

In a matchup of Anne Arundel County unbeatens and the two all-time winningest coaches, Class 4A Meade (3-0) held its breath at the end and survived with a 75-74 victory over Class 2A Southern (3-1).

With the score 75-72, Terrell Jones' desperation three-point attempt hit the rim and was tipped in by teammate Chatney Howard as the buzzer sounded. Jones' shot would have sent the game into overtime.

"We only played a quarter and a half, and it cost us," said Southern coach Tom Albright (402-222) who got win No. 400 in Southern's opener to become the first county coach to reach that milestone in one sport.

His counterpart, Butch Young, who is also in his 28th season, the last 16 at Meade, felt fortunate to take his 375th career victory (375-197). "You know every time you play Tom's team, you're going to get a battle, and we made it too exciting at the end," Young said.

Meade cooled off after a first period in which 5-foot-10 senior guard Derek Barrett and 6-foot senior Danny Sancomb combined for 19 of 26 points. Barrett had nine more in the second period, but the Stangs only outscored the Dawgs 18-16 for the 14-point halftime lead.

The Dawgs went on a 21-12 run in the third quarter to cut the deficit to 56-51 at the end of the period. Southern made 10 of 15 from the floor, and the Stangs made six of 20.

More importantly for Southern, Howard, who came into the game averaging 27.3 points in the first three wins, got back into the swing. The 6-foot-2 junior was held to two points in the first half and finished with 13 as Barrett stalked him.

Barrett finished with a game-high 24 points and four assists, but his pestering Howard and denying him the ball, especially in the first half, was the difference.

Jones picked up the slack for Southern, scoring 22 points, including a basket that cut Meade's lead to 71-66 with about a minute left.

Meade's Jones, Tyrone, a 5-foot-10 junior who scored 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds, put the Stangs back up at 73-66, but Southern's Jamar Mullen made four of his eight points in the next 30 seconds to cut the lead to 75-70. Tommy Stevens had scored his two points from the foul line with 29 seconds left for the other points.

Adrian Turner scored his two points, also from the foul line, to make it 75-72 with 15 seconds left. Corey Contee (11 points) stole the inbounds pass, but couldn't hold it and after a mad scramble, it was kicked out only to be stolen by Terrell Jones, who tried the three-pointer.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.