ANNAPOLIS/SOUTH COUNTY--Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale

December 16, 1992

Drug dealer sentenced to 10 years

Antonio D. Boston, the 33-year-old drug dealer who police said buried more than $200,000 in the back yard of his home in Rolling Knolls in March, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Boston, of Shively Court, Annapolis, pleaded guilty Sept. 28 in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to drug distribution charges. Circuit Judge Raymond G. Thieme ordered the sentence Monday.

Boston was snared in an investigation that started in March when his brother-in-law was stopped for a traffic violation in New Mexico. Police there found about 145 pounds of marijuana, which they linked to Boston, in the car.

Police said Boston had flown to Arizona earlier and arranged for the drug deal, then flew back to Maryland and hired the brother-in-law, who was unemployed, to drive the car with the drugs back to Maryland.

When investigators raided Boston's home, they found $103,000 in cash buried in a bucket and another $100,000 buried in a cooler. Police also found 11.6 grams of hashish at the house.

Capital workers to get 1 percent pay raise

Annapolis' 492 workers will get a 1 percent pay raise as a holiday bonus.

But while some were in a festive mood yesterday after learning of the bonus, police officers were angry because they expected a 2 percent raise that was negotiated in their contract.

Union officials were discussing yesterday whether to sue the city or file a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board.

A $541,000 budget surplus allowed the City Council to give employees the bonus. But the council scaled down an earlier proposal to offer a 2 percent cost-of-living increase, limiting it instead to a one-time bonus. Alderman John Hammond, a Ward 1 Republican, objected to the 2 percent raise, saying it was too soon to predict a bright financial future for the city.

The city is expected to end up with a $1 million surplus in its general fund, although $500,000 will be used to make up for a shortfall in the enterprise fund, which finances water and sewer services.

City Council to hire private recycling firm

The City Council Monday night agreed to hire a private recycling company to collect yard waste, plastics, glass and newspapers.

Last month, the council overwhelmingly rejected a plan to privatize the city's trash collection service. Dozens of garbage collectors and residents opposed the plan, saying they wanted a municipal service.

The council delayed voting on recycling until Monday night. Legislation must still be introduced to hire a private company, said City Administrator Michael Mallinoff.

Liquor store robbed by man armed with gun

An Annapolis liquor store was robbed of an undetermined amount of money yesterday afternoon by a man armed with a revolver.

Police said the man walked into C and C Liquors in the 900 block of Bay Ridge Road about 1:45 p.m. and bought a soda. At the cash register, he pulled a 4- to 6-inch stainless steel revolver from the inside of his jacket, police said, pointed the gun at store owner Mary K. Samaras and demanded money.

Inmate hangs himself at detention center

A 19-year-old man being held on battery charges hanged himself in the County Detention CenterSunday evening, county police reported.

Investigators said Charles Cross was found in his cell at 9:33 p.m. hanging from a bed sheet that was tied to his bunk bed.

He was found by a nurse who was making her regular half-hour rounds. Officials believe that he had been dead about 10 minutes before he was found.

Calvert County man dies when hit by truck

A Calvert County man was killed Monday afternoon when he was run over by the truck he had just been riding in on Route 4 near Wayson's Corner, county police reported.

James William Spriggs, 48, of Route 260 in Owings, got out of a truck driven by Vernal Jones, 38, of Lothian, on the shoulder of Route 4 near Route 408.

After the door shut, Mr. Jones started to pull away, not realizing that Mr. Spriggs, who had been drinking, had fallen down near the wheel of the truck.

Mr. Spriggs died from internal injuries at Prince George's Hospital Center, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.