SOUTHEAST--Sykesville * Eldersburg * Gamber

December 14, 1992

Smoldering ashes caused $100,000 fire

The two-alarm fire that damaged a Carrolltowne home Thursday night was caused when smoldering ashes placed in a cardboard box caught fire in the garage, said Deputy State Fire Marshal Bob Thomas.

The fire caused about $100,000 damage to the home, Mr. Thomas said Friday.

About 60 Carroll and Howard County firefighters responded to the blaze at about 6:15 p.m. Thursday. Strong winds and heavy rains hampered firefighters' efforts to put out the blaze, Thomas said.

No one was injured.

FIRE

* Eldersburg: Sykesville, Winfield and Gamber responded to a reported house fire on Lynn Way at 3:54 a.m. Sunday. Units were out for 26 minutes.

* Carrolltowne: Sykesville, Gamber, Winfield and Liberty Road, Randallstown, Owings Mills and Reisterstown of Baltimore County responded to a report of a natural gas leak in the Pizza Hut on Liberty Road at 2:44 a.m. yesterday. Units were out of service for 26 minutes.

* Sykesville: Sykesville responded to investigate a hazardous condition on Kaywood Place at 4:31 p.m. Friday. Units were out for 39 minutes.

* Eldersburg: Sykesville, Gamber and West Friendship of Howard County responded to a chimney fire on Argonne Drive at 3:23 p.m. Friday. Units were out of service for 44 minutes.

* Sykesville: Sykesville assisted Howard County on a house fire on Miller's Mill Road at 9:37 a.m. Friday. Units were out of service for 37 minutes.

* Eldersburg: Sykesville, Mount Airy and Gamber responded to a house fire on Bennett Road at 6:57 a.m.

Friday.

* Sykesville: Sykesville assisted Howard County for an alarm on Burnt Woods Road at 10:56 a.m. Thursday.

* Gamber: Gamber assisted Baltimore County at the Reisterstown Lumber Company in the 13000 block of Old Hanover Road at 12:31 a.m. Friday morning when a tree was toppled on a light pole which then fell on a metal roof of one of the company's open structures. Electric wires resting on the metal roof caused arcing and several small fires under the roof. Units were out for two hours, in part waiting for workers from Baltimore Gas & Electric disconnect electricity.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.