ANNAPOLIS/SOUTH COUNTY--Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale

December 14, 1992

Fire that gutted Lothian home started in chimney, officials say

A one-alarm fire that destroyed a Lothian bungalow Friday morning started in a chimney, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called at 6:11 a.m. and found the one-story home in the 5200 block of Sands Road engulfed in flames. It took them about an hour to bring the blaze under control.

Capt. Gary Sheckells, a fire department spokesman, said the owner of the home, James Johnson Sr., had started a fire in his wood stove about 5:30 a.m. He was sitting in his house when his niece, who lives down the street, looked out her window and saw the roof on fire.

She called 911, then ran to the home to tell Mr. Johnson.

"He was unaware of the fire at the time," Captain Sheckells said. The niece helped another woman sleeping in the home escape.

Captain Sheckells said the home sustained $60,000 in damage and was gutted. No one was injured.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.