Dontay Carter labeled 'troublemaker' at jail Teen sues officials for transferring him

December 13, 1992|By Jay Apperson | Jay Apperson,Staff Writer

During his brief stay at the city Detention Center, Dontay Carter attacked correctional officers, threatened to incite other inmates to stab guards and vowed to stuff one guard's family into a car trunk, jail officials are saying.

Defending their decision to move the East Baltimore teen-ager to the Maryland Penitentiary to await trial for murder and kidnapping, officials filed papers last week in U.S. District Court detailing Carter's alleged infractions at the Baltimore City Detention Center.

The documents were filed as part of a motion by jail officials asking a federal judge to dismiss a suit filed by Carter, who has been convicted in the murder of a Catonsville man and is awaiting trial in two kidnappings.

In the suit, filed in September, Carter says that corrections officials moved him to a cell next to the gas chamber at the Maryland Penitentiary without a hearing. Carter, who has not been sentenced in the murder, is asking the court to overturn that decision. He is also demanding $50,000 in compensation.

Lawyers for detention center Warden Bernard Smith and Commissioner Lamont Flanagan say Carter was not legally entitled to a hearing and that his behavior not only threatened other inmates and guards but also made him a likely target for retaliation.

In a separate suit, Carter demanded the return of "legal and religious articles" he said were seized before his transfer. In their response to that suit, which was dismissed in October by U.S. District Judge William N. Nickerson, corrections officials said Carter was "responsible for inciting fellow inmates to participate in several jail disturbances."

The papers filed Dec. 1 include reports of internal investigations that elaborate on the accusations that Carter, then known as inmate No. 360-616, was a troublemaker at the jail. Many of the reports concern the events surrounding an April 23 arson fire at the detention center.

The reports say detention center inmates showered human waste on correctional officers responding to the smoldering fire. Carter threw water on and punched one officer and hit another in the face with a fluorescent tube, the reports say.

He then used a homemade shank with a needle point to stab two officers attempting to subdue him in his segregated cell, according to the reports. Carter, who sustained a dislocated shoulder after being pulled from his cell, was ordered into solitary confinement for 90 days in that incident, records show. He was transferred to the penitentiary less than three weeks later.

The filings also include a copy of a March 27, hand-written letter to Warden Smith, signed by Carter and two other inmates, demanding their release from solitary confinement.

"If we don't get any results by April 5 we [Anthony Jones, Dontay Carter and Edward Jefferson] are going to send a letter to our peoples in population and inform them how you are treating us," the letter reads.

Carter is scheduled to stand trial in January in two kidnappings in which victims were ordered into the trunks of their cars. He was convicted last month of murder and kidnapping in the death of Vitalis V. Pilius.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.